Lapford34102's "N" bench

Hi,

I've never dabbled in N before so this is new territory for me. For one of my armchair projects N is the logical gauge and in some ways the "N" version of the 150 seems to me is rather more accomplished than it's big brother.

However weathering in "N" is interesting to say the least. What I would have tackled in 4mm with nary a second thought had me thinking very hard. And that's partly the reason for posting. I know the photos aren't very good but would appreciate any honest feedback on what I've done here plus any tips from those more experienced in this size.

Ta

Stu

GF150-2.jpg

GF150-4.jpg

GF150-3.jpg

GF150-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is looking good, personally the biggest problem with many models in N is that they are too shiney, matt varnish or a wash rubbed in of weathered black/ dark grey does wonders.

Understated is always good, I was going to add that perhaps the ploughs should be yellow then I double checked and decided to shut up!!!! Just doing a First Great Western one with Electra Railway Graphics vinyls etc and have painted the ploughs yellow on it. The only other thing to consider is adding some form of corridor connection between the 2 cars, it makes a massive difference as long as the curves on your layout are not too tight, I have close coupled mine and added a corridor connector made out of folder up black paper, it runs around a 10" rad oval either way without derailing!

Anyway, welcome to N gauge and congrats on the 150

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the feedback.

the biggest problem with many models in N is that they are too shiney

From my very limited experience in N I would agree with you. I dusted the 150/2 with matt dark earth which I hope has done enough to take the edge of the shine.

Just doing a First Great Western one with Electra Railway Graphics vinyls etc and have painted the ploughs yellow on it

I'd be interested to see this. I did try ERG vinyls in 4mm but didn't get on to well which was really down to me. I have picked up a cheap 150/1 with the intention of doing this

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Allinthedetails/DMUs/150120-First-Great-Western/18293249_mvSpZR#1213667777_tzqhC

And thanks to GloriousNSE for getting these shots.

At the moment mine stuff is trundling up and down a yard of Peco but the opportunity to do a reasonable size (for me) roundy roundy is one of the reason for looking at N for the future. I'll bear in mind the corridor comment.

Thanks

Stu

Yeah, that is on my list as well, excellent set of piccies there, thanks for the link. A much easier livery to redo, respraying would be better than vinyls for it though, I am sure that Precision Labels would do the transfers if they don't already. He is very good at sorting and adding stuff to his range and quick as well. I have a 153 I was going to do in this livery until I realised they are in the local lines livery not this later plain scheme, ooer. I have done it with Electra vinyls but are not really sure about it at the mo as you lose most of the loverly body side detail, not an issue with the 158 though.

post-3347-0-32718900-1312309800_thumb.jpg

I will add some piccies of the 158 and 150 I have done later when I take some.

Simon

OK, here we go, obviously I have not got the airbrush on them yet but that s the next step -

post-3347-0-96734000-1312311358_thumb.jpg

The 3 FGW DMUs I am working on all in FGW local lines livery with Electra vinyls.

a 3 car class 158 (2 car 158 + additional 158 power car)I have also moved the air dam from the bogie to the body on each end of these 158s, looks much better on curves I think, a class 150/2, a class 153

post-3347-0-23142600-1312311612_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah and a couple of close ups of the corridor connectors I have made and fitted -

post-3347-0-53674000-1312311578_thumb.jpg

post-3347-0-49763300-1312311594_thumb.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

Apologies for not replying sooner and thank's for posting the shots of your units. I have been on to Precision Labels and hopefully have go the FGW 150/1 decals sorted out so will wait their arrival.

I wouldn't completely discount seeing either FGW units appearing in plain blue as apparently a reason for the 150/1's to be done like this is that corrosion can occur under the vinyls.

Opinion on the Dapol 153 ? Been trying to trawl through the reviews to get an overview butwould be interested in any thoughts from someone who has one.

Cheers

Stu

Very unsure, I am keepingmine with the vinyls as it is not far off unique but would replace straight away if Dapol did one! I am not really happy with the windows as the vinyls are cut over sized and you can see the orig colour all around them. Also, more than other dmus, the 153 has lots of rivet detail which the vinyls cover up. Better than going without but not wholely satisfied.

I also find it important to glue around the edges with the vinyls as they unpeal quite easily, this also helps to tighten the edges of the sheet, especially noticeable in N at the ends, a run along the edge with a fine brush and yellow or black as appropriate helped as well. The vinyls are a great way of getting something not available without difficult/expensive conversions though. I have a full set for the royal train to do at some point as well.

Best wishes

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Lapford - that looks very accomplished to me.

In my experience, the big hazard with weathering in N is that it is so easy to overdo it. Most weathered models I have seen in N look FAR too extensively weathered, imho, even for the mid-1960s. But what you have done is subtle and very VERY effective. Well done.

Hi PGN,

Many thanks for the positive comment. I tried Googling N gauge weathering but didn't really get a lot back apart from one well known commercial site. Weathering seems much less common than in 4mm though having done one I can sort of understand why.

Have another slightly more involved project just coming up to the weathering stage so will post some shots when its done.

Thanks

Stu

Hi,

Decided as this thread is likely to grow to give a more general title.

Anyhow it's another effort in "N" but this time some a bit more adventurous, a FGW 150/1. Firstly many thanks to Martyn (GloriousNSE) Read for getting the photos - http://ukrailwaypics...213667777_tzqhC - and to John at Precision Labels for so expertly and expeditiously getting the transfers done.

The model started life as a Northern one and after a bit of experimentation on the paint job discovered it came off quite easily with white spirit leaving the basic blue body shell. Taking a bit of time and care also left the smaller details intact. The main glazing came out easily but I couldn't get the cab interiors out - do they come out ? - so had to mask the cab window and door glazing. It was then a case of masking the roof to paint it grey, doing the doors by first undercoating in white then FGW magenta. Finally spraying the whole shell apart from the ends with thinned Kleer to prepare it for decalling. The Precision sheet is pretty comprehensive and went on extremely well. The orange cantrail stripes are Modelmaster and did not do as well but a bit of work got something acceptable. The odd bits missing from the Precision sheets were cobbled together from bits of 4mm stuff. Finally the whole shell was given a coat of matt varnish and then finally weathered.

The result may not be quite as polished as the Arriva unit but I'm content with what is a first attempt at something like this in this scale.

Cheers

Stu

FGW150-1g.jpg

FGW150-1d.jpg

FGW150-1c.jpg

FGW150-1b.jpg

FGW150-1a.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the comment Simon. Probably unique only until someone else decides to do what I've done or GF decide to do it. It'll be interesting to see if any other FGW units get turned out in this "austerity" livery.

Having done this now thinking about how to turn the artwork I've got for 4mm Wessex units into 2mm. Also need something to run them on. A oval of track on the study floor is all very well but.........

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Stu - Very nice work on the FGW 150.

I took a shine to these units only recently when visiting the Looe branch last month and I was disappointed to see Farish didn't do this livery.

That said, you have done a nice job and I am tempted to have a go at one myself!

If I understood correctly, you used a First North Western livery as a basis - is this the correct shade of blue meaning only the doors need repainting?

Many thanks in advance...

Pete

Hi,

Thanks for the comment. Yes it was a First NW unit to begin with so assumed the blue was correct and it is a pretty close match for Precision's First Group Blue. A bit of touching in was required but after the various varnish coats it's not obvious. And as you've correctly inferred it was only the doors and roof that needed painting. An "in progress" pic below.

post-82-0-05236000-1315080893.jpg

Cheers

Stu

Lapford -

Another amazing job on which congratulations are definitely in order.

Do Precision Labels do bespoke transfers?? What sort of proces, and what do they need you to supply? (I've been looking for somebody who offers this service for some time ... as you'll appreciate, N/2mm pre-grouping transfers don't exactly grow on trees!!)

Hi,

Pete, the roof is a Tamiya acrylic - Tank Grey - and the doors are Pheonix Precision.

If any N gauge effort of mine gets anywhere halfway close to Coombe Junction I'll be happy.

PGN - Precision do do bespoke transfers though looking through the list it's mainly contemporary stuff. The FGW ones were an adaption of something already produced and I simply provided some photos so it could be adapted. However I'm sure if you contact him he can offer advice.

2mm pre-grouping
Doing things the hard way then :)

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Pete, the roof is a Tamiya acrylic - Tank Grey - and the doors are Pheonix Precision.

Many thanks Stu...I keep looking at the 150 on Hattons...the question is...by the time I get around to do it...will Farish have released a FGW one... :O

If any N gauge effort of mine gets anywhere halfway close to Coombe Junction I'll be happy.

Thanks - thats very kind of you...maybe we can swop out the wheels for 2FS and your FGW 150 could make an appearance!

• 4 months later...

Recently got asked to assist for a day on a demo stand but was rather undecided as to what to take along to do until it was suggested I do a bit of weathering. Having a look at what was around to work on I came across some N gauge ones and decided to give them a go.

I did airbrush the underframes beforehand but the the majority of the weathering was done with artists oils, enamel paints and weathering powders.

ZAA.jpg

OCA-2.jpg

OCA.jpg

OBA.jpg

The weathering itself was rather therapuetic and much less of a trial than I expected given their unfamiliar size. The wagons are really excellent models and my collegue at the show who knows his wagons reckoned they were in many ways better than their 4mm brethren. I was somewhat taken aback to find a set of brake hoses provided. Does anyone do "N" gauge modern tail lamps ?

I now really need to get on with a layout to run them on but while I'm fairly sure what I don't want I'm far less sure what I do. A "Minories" style layout appeals but in this scale I could comfortably do a roundy roundy which would be a novelty for me. Decisions decisions :-)

Stu

Hi Pete,

Probably easier to demonstrate than explain but here goes. Done with Artist's Oil paint primarily - Paynes Grey or Burnt Umber - slathered on as a wash so it settles in all the corners and crannies. Allowed to dry for a few minutes and then with a clean but damp brush - No 2 seems fine for N - dragged off in vertical downward strokes. Now that sounds quite simple but I've a feeling that like certain phone ads steps have been omitted to make it look simpler than it is !

Not sure this has been much help so will get hold of another wagon and try to some WIP shots.

Are you at any shows this year ?

Stu

I'm loving this thread, Stu, even though I am not that interested in modern image.

Some great weathering - both the wagons and the diesel units.

You don't seem to mention photos of the real thing, but I am guessing you are working from photos or have made a close study of the prototypes, which must surely the basis of realistic weathering.

It also shows you don't need an airbrush to weather!

Douglas

• RMweb Gold

Are you at any shows this year ?

Not unless they are in Barcelona!

Thanks Stu...if you get a chance to do a WIP but otherwise I will give it a crack myself....err....just need to finish something that can be weathered first!

• 3 months later...

To go with the wagons I've done there's been a Farish 66 sitting around and I finally got round to weathering it.

The only mod I've made is to add the characteristic dam under the bufferbeam. You get two with the loco that plug into the underside of the bufferbeam but this means you can't use the couplings. So I made a couple out of plasticard using the provided ones as a template. Made them a tad shallower and then made a cutout for the coupler. As the bogie plastic seems pretty impervious to most glues I pinned them to the frame using fine brass wire. It uses the old trick of using wire slightly larger than the drilled hole so that it is a tight fit. Hope this makes sense.

EWS66-4.jpg

EWS66-3.jpg

EWS66-2.jpg

EWS66-1.jpg

Next up will be the FGW 153 but I have made a start on a layout. Well the baseboard at least but I do have an idea for the trackplan. Updates as and when.

Cheers

Stu

Next

Archived