Pulleys for Baseboards

Jon_Eng

Does anyone have any experience of using pulley-based attachments to "hang" a layout from a ceiling? I'm wondering, are there any commercial systems (kit or ready-to-use) or would I need to buy the parts? If so, which ones?

Also, I would be grateful for any links to old posts that I couldn't find during search.

Does anyone have any experience of using pulley-based attachments to "hang" a layout from a ceiling? I'm wondering, are there any commercial systems (kit or ready-to-use) or would I need to buy the parts? If so, which ones?

Also, I would be grateful for any links to old posts that I couldn't find during search.

Get thy self to a boat chandlery where every conceivable pulley is awaiting your purchase. Ropes as well.

I am in full agreement with Mell - get thee to a chandlers.

I vaguely recall an article (I think it was in model Railroader) a few years ago detailing a layout which had been built to be suspended and raised/lowered by means of an electric garage door winch operated via a series of pulleys but I cannot currently trace an issue number.

As Shortliner says there can be a great deal of weight in a completed layout so you will need to check out the state of ceiling joists to which you may be attaching lifting points as well as the routing of any domestic electricity wiring which might also be situated within the ceiling void.

• RMweb Premium

I did this with the layout I built for my children when they were young. It was 8' by 5' with 2 by1 framing every foot and a central operating well. I bought what are known as Creel fittings from a decent ironmongers (My father in law) these were originally designed, as the name suggests for creels that used to hang on kitchen ceilings for drying the washing. There were a variety of combinations of double and dingle pulleys about 1 1/2 " diameter, that fitted onto spigots that from memory were about 1/4" and made of threaded rod. these went up through my 4 x 2 ceiling joists and were secured with a washer and a nut in the loft. 4 of these supporrted the baseboard. I used 4 separate 1/4" ropes leading back to a hook on the wall. This worked wel without any trouble for several years until the boys outgrew the layout. I then cut it into three parts and used it as the basis for my 7mm Long Preston layout. I'm not sure whther or not creel fittings are still available but a chandlers would certainly be your best bet for pulleys. I hope this gives you some ideas.

Jamie

Thanks for the help so far, planning is at an early stage and I'm thinking of using the garage at my parents' house where I still live (now too narrow for the car!). Does anyone know any chandleries that sell online and deliver because I'm a long way from one?

Archived