Wheels and decal's recomendations

Dale

Any recomended manufacturer for quality OO scale a: wheels etc and b: decals for my future kit bashing exploits that would be suitable for use in pre grouping steam era rolling stock?

Cheers folks.

D.

Dale,

it rather depends on your choice of prototype. You'll need to see which of the following supply a suitable (or the nearest) version.

Alan Gibson do the widest range currently available and the least expensive.

Ultrascale are considered the best, but have a smaller range, are more expensive and have a fairly long delivery time.

Sharman Wheels are supposed to be going back into production (they had the biggest range), but at present only a small selection is available through London Road Models, specifically for some of their kits where there is no other option.

Markits (formerly Romford) are not available in larger diameters as often used on early passenger locos, but are supposedly easier to assemble and are rather expensive.

Except for Markits, they are all plastic centred. A GW wheel press makes assembly easier and more accurate and is a good investment. Markits have self quartering square end axles and are claimed to be easier to use but recent experience by a friend of mine was otherwise. When I modelled in OO, I also had some problems getting their Romford forebears running true.

I model the LNWR in the Edwardian era (and also in P4) so use AG or Sharman Wheels, fitted with a GW wheel press.

Jol

Dale,

I forgot the decals question and again it depend on the prototype.

The HMRS do a range as do Fox. Some kit manufacturers make transfers specifically for their kits, where there is nothing else available.

I think you will need to identify the model you want to build and then research the options.

Jol

Almost all theabove are also valid for rolling stock, although both Hornby and Bachmann do surprisingly good wheels - Coachmann uses Hornby wheels on his coaches. For older rolling stock spoked wheels from Hornby (that's just me personal choice) and split spoke from Bachmann. Beware of those as they're a cast end on a plastic axle centre and cause a short if you use them on metal kits.

Kean-Maygib wheels are what you get in Parkside kits - I've had some of those which went cockeyed on the axle. Gibsons and Romfords are fine; Andrew Hartshorne has just started doing a range as well.

For transfers I tend to use HMRS pressfix; Modelmaster and Fox also do some suitable transfer packs, so you takes your choice.

As Jol asked initially, what are you planning to model?

Thanks for the reply folks. Please forgive me but several night shifts have addled my brain a little. I wrote 'pre-grouping' but that should have read 'pre-nationalisation'. My interests lay in all things GWR/LMS as my layout plans revolve around a fictitious station in Gloucestershire where both LMS and GWR loco's are seen. I will no doubt have some quiet moments on tonight's shift to have a look at the websites for the companies listed.

Thanks again folks and sorry for the boob.

Archived