GWR 93xx and 51xx topfeeds

Hi All,

I'm working on a Bachmann 93xx and an Airfix 61xx. The 61xx I want to build as a 51xx or 5101 class. My questions are: Are the topfeeds on a 93xx and 51xx the tall or short types please? Also, can a 5101 class be built using the Airfix body, ie any external differences? My questions may be a bit simplistic, but I'm mainly an LMS builder and have very little in the way of GWR reference books. I'm building my layout as an LMS terminus somewhere in the West Midlands which has GWR locos and stock running into it as well.

Regards,

Mark.

61XX and 51XX both had the same S2 boiler and are very similar engines. .The 51XX had a lower boiler pressure. Both were fitted with low safety valve covers from new. With such a large number of standard boilers in circulation it is very likely that the odd tall valve cover appeared. Usual thing, check photographs.

The class to avoid are some of the earlier ex 31XX prairies that had a larger boiler/square front frames. The numbering/rebuilding is complex story, too complicated to go through here

93xx again were fitted with the low cover from new and I have found no shots of a substitute tall cover.

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the reply, very helpful. I would just like to know the second part of my 51xx question, is the 5101 class different from the 51xx class, can I build one using the Airfix 61xx body?

Regards,

Mark.

Mark,

The answer is lurking in Mike's second paragraph. Strictly speaking, its best to avoid calling them 51XX, better to call the two classes 5100 and 5101, thoug even that is slightly confusing. The 5100s were built as 3100s from 1903 to 1906. These were numbered 3100 and 3111 to 3149. Later they were renumbered by changing the three to five. There are many differences between these and the 6100s.

The 5101 class were built between 1929 and 1949. They were numbered 5101-5110, 5150-5199 and 4100-4179. The 5101s are the ones that, as Mike said, were more or less identical to the 6100 series, other than boiler pressure.

Beyond that, any differences come down to build dates and individual engines.

Nick

The locos with larger (no. 4) boilers were the 3150 class, which were otherwise similar to the 5100s. Some of these were rebuilt in the late 30s into the 31xx class, with 5'3" drivers and similar curved framing to the 5101s. Some of the No.2 boilered locos were similarly rebuilt as 8100s with 5' 6" drivers.

Note that cab shutters first appeared on the 61xx and were gradually fitted to the earlier locos.

Thank you David,

This then leads on to another question, a manufacturer does a set of wheels which are 5' 8" diameter 18 spoke, quoting these for 31, 51 and 61 locos. This being the case, which locos were fitted with this diameter wheel please?

Regards,

Mark

They were all fitted with a standard cast iron chimney from new. This chimney had been introduced on the 53XXs (5370 onwards) in 1919.

Nick

edit: the copper cap is indeed correct for 43XXs but there was also a large cast iron variety fitted to 5350-69 "...similar in shape to the the standard copper cap..." (RCTS standard 2-cylinder classes) in 1918-19.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Yes, the cast iron chimney that I mentioned does have a capuchon. Unfortunately, I don't have the Bachmann model so can't say how accurate the chimney is. Perhaps others can comment?

Nick

Bachmann 4358 in lines BR green has the capuchon.

Cheers SS

Archived