Decoders for Heljan Locos

drewn

Hi guys,

Ive just converted to dcc and am currently chipping my locos. Most locos are Bachmann and seem straight forward enough (I propose to use Hornby Sapphire 21 pin chips) but the guy in my local shop says that Heljan locos do not like the standard Hornby 8 pin chip and might need something beefier, such as Bachmann. Has anyone come across this?

Your views please

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Ive just converted to dcc and am currently chipping my locos. Most locos are Bachmann and seem straight forward enough (I propose to use Hornby Sapphire 21 pin chips) but the guy in my local shop says that Heljan locos do not like the standard Hornby 8 pin chip and might need something beefier, such as Bachmann. Has anyone come across this?

Your views please

Suggest you contact Coastal DCC, Digitrains, Bromsgrove Models, Howes of Oxford and any other (possibly local to you) firms. All the above have time to talk or answer your emails and they know their business inside out. I know this because I've contacted most of them myself since going DCC!

Cheers, Phil R @ 36E

Hi guys,

Your views please

Heljan locos can draw a lot of current. I would suggest that you should use a decoder with at least a 1A current capability. IIRC, the basic Hornby decoders are only 0.5A.

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi there All my Heljan 47's (I have 9 of them) run on Lenz Silvers. I have a Heljan 33 and two Heljan 86's that run on Lenz Golds. Have never had any problems with them and all will run from a very slow and almost imperceptible creep through to flat out and all points in between.

Have had to do very little prodding of CV's and have been quite happy with acceleration and breaking curves.

Hope this helps.

I use TCS DP2X-UK decoders in my Heljan locos. I've tried them in 47s, a 33 and a 26 with excelent results every time. These are rated at 1 amp continuous, 2 amps peak.

The first Heljan loco I chipped was an early 47 and I used a Bachmann 3 function which got rather warm and kept cutting out. I swapped for the TCS and everything was fine.

I have also tried a Bachmann chip in the 33, it didn't seem to be over taxed like the one in the 47 but wasn't as smooth pulling away from a stop as it was when I tried a TCS.

I have 2 Heljan 26s which I first chipped with the later 8 pin Hornby decoders. Both locos struggled to start, with noises and grumblings, and performance was poor. Changed to Lenz standard, and the difference was immediate and remarkable, and they are now among the smoothest and most reliable locos I own.

JD

These are rated at 1 amp continuous, 2 amps peak.

This is the critical bit, continuous rating of 1A vs Hornby 0.5A due to the Buhler motors Heljan use.

The Sapphire has overload protection I think but the earlier Hornby could overheat and blow quite easily too if fitted..

I used to own 5 Heljan 47s and ran them with a selection on Lenz Silvers, ZTC and Bachmann 3 - function chips all of them worked fairly well with the Lenz probably performing the best but as with most things it all boils down to cost.

Weather the Lenz worked twice as good (twice the price of a Bachmann chip) was debateable but all of the above chips should perform as intended.

Now I only have one Heljan loco ( a Class 58) which has a 3 function Bachmann chip and as long as the wheels are kept clean it runs beautifully.

For Aberdeen Kirkhill we have three Heljan 26s and twenty four Heljan 47s - all run beautifully on Lenz chips. We originally used Lenz silvers but as 34© and jinty have already stated the Lenz standard is just as good and at least half the fleet use these. We did have problems with Lenz direct chips so we now only use the ones with the length of wires.

Another word of warning: the chip plug is a bit chunky and when the body shell is added back on we have found that the underneath of the Heljan circuit board can get very close to the metal motor mounting block. This has caused some locos to act erratically (lights flashing and the loco not moving, for example). To cure this potential shorting problem just add two or three thicknesses of insulating tape to the underneath of the Heljan circuit board over any protruding electrical devices.

Guest 40-something

Hi

I use the Bachmann 3 function chips in my HJ 26 & 27's with no problems and I have a Hornby cheapo in my HJ 17 which runs just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the critical bit, continuous rating of 1A vs Hornby 0.5A due to the Buhler motors Heljan use.

The Sapphire has overload protection I think but the earlier Hornby could overheat and blow quite easily too if fitted..

Yup.. found out the hard way... put a basic Hornby decoder in, sat back and watched her smoke!

At first, I thought maybe I missed the part on the box that said the loco had a clag generator... :blink:

Guest 40-something

Out of interest last night I tried a Hornby cheap on an HJ 26 and it worked well, no probs at all although did get a little hot, although the one fitted to my HJ 17 doesnt get hot but I dont think the motor is as beefy as the others in the range.

Im basically standardising on Bachmann 3 function chips for my diesel fleet which consists of Bach, HJ & Lima models (apart from the 17) and Hornby chips for my steam fleet consisting of Bach & Hornby models.

I know some folk will raise their eyebrows in disgust as there are far better chips out there, but for what I need them for (ie mostly slow speed and shunting) they are just fine! Oh, and the locos' run great on DC too!

• RMweb Gold

Another word of warning: the chip plug is a bit chunky and when the body shell is added back on we have found that the underneath of the Heljan circuit board can get very close to the metal motor mounting block.

The latest batch of Standard Plus decoders I have received have soldered plugs rather than the chunky IDC type that they used to use, so maybe not an issue now ....

• RMweb Gold

I have also used a Lenz Standard in my HJ 33 - and runs like a dream, very good slow running and very responsive. I use a NCE Powercab. I have a TCS M1 in a Bachmann 08, but all the others run Bachmann 3-function. The Bachmann ones are ok, but will at some point change over to TCS or Lenz. I bought the Lenz standard from the shop when I bought the 33 for about £16 - so pretty good value. Not sure what they retail now though.

I think I have tried most decoders over the past few years, starting originally with Lenz, and for whatever reason, I keep coming back to the old faithful Lenz Standard.

I do understand that cost for lots of people is paramount......and many people manage to achieve complete satisfaction from most Hornby and Bachmann decoders.

BUT......its what you want from a decoder that is important....and if you only use Hornby and Bachmann decoders, and you are happy with their performance, then thats fine.

Lenz decoders, for me, give that extra bit of control, fine tuning etc more so than I have ever been able to achieve using the Bachmann or Hornby types.

But it can be a personal thing too, depending on how you want to run your locos,....fast or slow speed, or fast or slow acceleration and deceleration, we are all different.

As yet......I have found nothing to beat Lenz decoders....I buy Lenz Standards from my model shop at £17.90.......and worth every penny.

Bob

• Like 1

I have a Hornby cheapo in my HJ 17 which runs just fine.

Same here, and it is a very sweet runner. The basic rule of thumb is that Heljan's large motors draw relatively high currents. For some reason (probably price) most if my Heljan locos have ended up with tcs chips and all run beautifully.

Due to space considerations, a small chip like the 8249 was ideal for the 17, and I figured that the smaller motor wouldn't draw the higher currents of their other models.

I can't say I have the same success with bachmanns 2 and 3 function decoders. They seem very fussy over installations, and can exhibit some odd jerky behaviour.

The latest batch of Standard Plus decoders I have received have soldered plugs rather than the chunky IDC type that they used to use, so maybe not an issue now ....

But if buying via mail order, say, how do you know which one you're getting ? Different product codes or the mither of contacting them for a description of the plug ?

• 9 years later...