Black 5 different whistle sounds?

Matador

How many different recordings of Black 5,s are out there (different whistles)

David

EDIT MOD 5 Not a silly question just a silly title that I have edited to mean something

I can think of 2. Hornby have made 2 sound fitted Black 5's and Howes do a sound chip you can fit to any loco of your choice. I have the Hornby sounds which are good but much better if you tweak the settings, not got a Howes version yet but general consensus is Howes are the best sound chips on the market.

All the Black 5 whistles (the Stainer "hooter") should be the same.

Recording whistles must be a difficult business with lots of background noise and hiss along with the worry that the whistle on the loco is actually the correct one.

My local Railway has a Midland 3F and 4F with correct Midland whistles which sound the same as well as an Ivatt Class 2 with LMS wistle which sounds different (I alwys though Midland and LMS were the same).

A jungle to get it right I think.

Kev

Recording whistles must be a difficult business with lots of background noise and hiss along with the worry that the whistle on the loco is actually the correct one.

Not really Kev. A lot of the time when running the loco is silent and if you use a shotgun mike at a known whistle point ( and you have a word with driver beforehand ), you get outstanding results particularly if shielded from any wind. Most preservationists try really hard to get a generic whistle for the loco.

My local Railway has a Midland 3F and 4F with correct Midland whistles which sound the same as well as an Ivatt Class 2 with LMS wistle which sounds different (I alwys though Midland and LMS were the same).

A jungle to get it right I think.

Kev

Be aware that a lot of these locos were acquired without whistles. All that brass in a scrap yard? Not for long, I think! A lot of these whistles came from store and abroad and, in some cases, were never fitted to that loco or it's class.

Also bear in mind that the whistle can be affected by steam pressure and will change note if the steam is wet and low pressure.

Not sure if it makes a difference but it is possible to run a real whistle from a compressed air source rather than steam. The argument is that a whistle operated at 50psi will sound different to one at 200psi.

Not sure if it makes a difference but it is possible to run a real whistle from a compressed air source rather than steam. The argument is that a whistle operated at 50psi will sound different to one at 200psi.

I have yet to hear a whistle operated by compressed air. Steam is a very different animal to compressed air. I doubt that a real steam whistle would work at all at 50psi a lot of hissing and a fair bit of solid water I would imagine.

Diesel horns operate on the vibrating reed principle rather than the high pressure across a narrow shaped gap. The chime whistle is basically several different shaped gaps on one barrel. The Black five hooter is basically a two note chime whistle. Wonderful noise but sounds all wrong on SR metals.

Does anybody still make these whistles are all of them from scrapped locos?

Is it me or is Tornado's whistle a bit disappointing?

Is it me or is Tornado's whistle a bit disappointing?

Which one disappoints? Tornado has two, a normal A1 LNER type, and an A4 type Chime. I like them both. They seem strident and confident, what I'd expect from a Pacific.

Personally, I love Black 5s, but have always thought the rather flat and morbid tone of the whistle to be completely opposite to the loco's lively character. Each to their own, I guess!! biggrin.gif

Paul

Archived