Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Theft of a railway line

sinminman

After reading other posts about people musing whether they should report something to Network Rail about a criminal issue, it reminded me of a time when I contacted Network Rail about a theft.

A couple of years ago I was walking in Sherwood Pines Forest Park just south of Clipstone in Nottinghamshire. I got a bit distracted by the disused colliery line to Bilsthorpe and started walking along the track (now before anyone has a go, there are 2 inch thick trees growing between the rails - it's VERY disused). When I came to this junction here, I found that the entire set of points and all large amount of the rail, cabling and other assorted metalwork had been crudely hacked out and carted away. The following weekend I came back again to find even more rail missing. This was definitely not a professional job, and what raised my suspicions further was the fact that next to the trackbed was a huge black scorched area and the remains of several lorry tyres (someone had been burning them for the steel inside).

So I decided to call Network Rail and report the theft. After faffing around for several hours I finally spoke to a lady who apparently dealt with calls from the public. Her reaction? "Oh, thanks. I'll let my manager know."

Guess what? Nothing happened. Last time I saw the place there were still chunks of rail regularly going missing.

Has anyone else come across whole pieces of railway line going missing?

If I understand the story correctly, the Leamside route is only mothballed, and has never been officially lifted. Yet there's a lot of it missing ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3044669.stm

(Story about a former track worker being jailed for stealing more than 2 miles of track)

I always wonder what Network Rail are going to prevent cases such as this - they presumably can't afford to have 24-hour security on disused lines. If the line is possibly never going to be reopened (the Clipstone example and I suspect, sadly, Leamside too), I just wonder whether they should lift the thing themselves, first.

As a large 'Public Body' is it possible it would cost them more to lift the track than the actual value of the track.

By a Public Body, I mean a accountable, full H&S, full working practices, admin etc., Company.

I agree with DavidH too about policing the area, further cost's.

Back in the late nineties I watched a load of rail been lifted on the afore mentioned Leamside line.I did know the guy in charge at that time who ran the North East Area including Leamside I rang him and NO they Weren't lifting the line. There was quite a bit of line lifted and it turned out they were profesionals if I recall from the Sheffield area.My friend used to run an engieering train down the line a couple of times a year just to prove the line was capable of been used(Much to the disapproval of his bosses).Shortly afterwards all the level crossings were removed and in his words "The ###### have made sure it won't reopen".

I believe it still makes the local News now and again. As the new Park and ride scheme opened at Belmont and the powers that be want to extend the Metro from Washington/South Hylton, when and if ever funds permit.

Sadly some Vandals burnt the lovely signal box at FenceHouses to the ground a few years ago-Si