Changing up to 7mm Scale

Matloughe

I haven't taken the plunge yet and bought a kit yet. :mosking:

I have however purchased a Lima Diesel Shunter from eBay, isn't much to look at I have to admit but I already have a plan in my mind to repaint it BR Green with grey roof, change the couplings to three link add glazing & a driver etc. I bought it as it looks like a nice little locomotive I can make my own - plus it was relatively inexpensive.

Shunter.jpg

Downside is because of the bank holiday it is unlikely that I will get the locomotive before this time next week at the earliest. And also I don't have any form of control system yet for O gauge - reckon I could use a OO Controller temporarily to ensure its all working and not squealing, clanking and crashing about? My current plan if that is a no-no is the old fashioned 9v battery with each terminal liked temporarily to a running rail. :biggrin_mini2:

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

You can probably get away with a 1 Amp controller; 2 Amp output is better, especially once you get to twin-motor diesels.

Then again the GF N Scale controllers are only 1/2 Amp IIRC !! At Shunty-plank speeds, the usual suspects for 12v DC should be fine - H&M, Gaugemasters etc.

Thanks,

I've got a spare OO Gauge Gaugemaster control I can probbably use for testing - even for only a little while. An update however on the Wagon

P1010001.jpg

Doesn't look like much has been done however the doors have been added, sealed closed as I don't want opening doors. Brake Rigging including V Hangers & Handbrake lever. I had to do the hand brake lock twice as I screwed up the first time. I have enjoyed the build only thing left to do is to open out the brass buffer shanks slightly and then I can fit the buffers and couplings. After that need to clean the glue up where it has oozed out of joins, then paint.

I look forward to shunting it around with my Locomotive... I am contemplating a possible layout for the future.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

• RMweb Gold

0 gauge is not all oldies. When I took my layout to Guildex I had kids operating it part of the time. Mike Vincent's lad Peter did loads of operating as did some others. Gave me a chance to speak to friends.

Don

I look forward to shunting it around with my Locomotive...

Something I used to do to my 4mm Lima locos years ago was add lots of weight (I've heard of others doing that too)... it improved the running quite a bit. It might be something to try with that 7mm shunter - the motor is a similar 'pancake' type - and it'd help slow running in particular.

Something I used to do to my 4mm Lima locos years ago was add lots of weight (I've heard of others doing that too)... it improved the running quite a bit. It might be something to try with that 7mm shunter - the motor is a similar 'pancake' type - and it'd help slow running in particular.

I have one of these and with almost a 1lb of lead it still went like a rocket, but a lenz 1000 chip tamed it and it now runs at a sencible speed, the same goes for the 33's that I have. the motor seems to responed to DCC control but they go wild on DC!

regards

mike g

That's good to know.

I was considering a DC Layout however DCC might be an option - spoken with my Grandad who has agreed to help me with my baseboard build. Going to have 8'x2' scenic area to play with along with an additional 4'x2' fiddle-yard board. Its looking more & more likely that the next layout will be O Gauge. Decided to go ahead and continue with my project, purchasing from an acquaintance a Toad brake van that is although complete but in need of a repaint and some repairs to get it looking reasonable again.

The board has been developed from a plan for a 4mm layout I had in mind, with some additional braces added.

What can I fit in 8' in O Gauge... hmm. :D

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

For what is possible in small spaces you can do no better than look at the Guilds Small Layouts book. This has a nunber of worked examples which will inspire you to try your own design or adapt one. Provided you stick with small locos and wagons, a lot can be fitted into the space you have available. If you have a hankering for larger stuff then try and join your local group who usually have a test track available for longer runs. I wish you the best of luck and know you will not regret the change.

Regards

Martin Long

I was 25 when I bought my first Parkside kit in O gauge and I haven't looked back. Don't worry about the Gauge O Guild being perceived as full of old blokes as there are young members and a lot of the old ones are very experienced and only too happy to share it.

Personally i'd try some Parkside wagon kits and the recommendation for Connoisseur kits if you want to try brass is a sound one. JLTRT go together well but the instructions can be somewhere between sparse and a leap of faith in my experience. Roxey kits are for the experienced modeller from what i've seen at my club, so don't rush in with your hard earned cash until you're confident! Try ABS if you want to try whitemetal.

Good luck with your O modelling!

Neal (GOG 11538)

Matloughe, your progress has me seriously considering a Connoisseur "Starter" 0-4-0 kit. I just need to check that my medical insurance covers soldering iron burns. ;)

I am flattered that you think so. :mosking:

Honestly however I am simply just bumbling through and enjoying myself en-route. I am debating on what to do next; I am going to look at another Peco or possibly Slaters kit to build and then I think I might take a plunge with something a little more difficult I can get stuck into. I am however appreciating the sheer scale of O Gauge its nice to be able to pick up the models. I am also enquiring about joining the local MRS in town - I am sure there will be someone there who I can ask if I get stuck on something as well as your good selves on here. Also joining he Gauge O Guild when I am back on a steady income as well.

Until then however, my new toys arrived today. Couldn't resist a pose on my windowsill - they almost look like a very mis-matched P-Way train.

P8310033-1.jpg

Wagon update, sprung buffers and 3-link couplings fitted and working correctly.

P8310031.jpg

Overview of the new Lima shunter and the GW Toad in need of a refurbishment.

The Lima shunter I have already had in pieces checked its wiring and oil before I even placed it on powered track. It is a good little runner I am impressed very quiet as well unlike most Lima models I have seen in the Past. Now I am not a Diesel fan - I can appreciate they have their uses so this little engine will be getting a respray into a more 'acceptable' (to me) green livery most likely a BR livery despite the model not being based on a specific prototype. I will need to get some three link couplings for it and cut a slice into the buffer beams so it can pull trains - all I have done to it so far is removed its Lima knuckle couplers. The Toad however is a different story it will require quite a bit of work to get looking alright - a complete repaint, handrails, three link couplings, some more weight If I can add it. The under frame has what looks like liquid lead stuck to it but I think it requires more. However the Toad is going back in the box for now until I want to play with that one.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

What can I fit in 8' in O Gauge... hmm. grin.gif

I have three O scale layouts, none of which are longer than 10ft total.

The one you might find most interesting is Withyn Reach which is British outline, 6ft x 1ft scenic & 4ft fiddleyard traverser...

Withyn30aug09012.jpg

Although I also have a US outline one which is 8ft long in total - Schiller Point....

IMG_0004.jpg

... and a 5ft-long shunty-plank called "Lyddlow" ... (cos it's a "li'l O" layout... awful pun, isn't it..?!?!)

SDC10414.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention I have also built an O Scale Micro-layout in a Boxfile...

various010.jpg

... so you have plenty of room for O Scale..... ;)

Withyn Reach is a fantastic layout, I have (secretly) watched your development thread for some time. I love your derelict warehouse with the dirty windows. I didn't realise you had two others as well I'll be off having a browse once this has been posted.

I am constructing three 4' x 2' boards that'll give me 12' in length. The fiddle yard board will only be a half board so the front of it will have some sort of scenic aspect, and the fiddle-yard concealed behind. Only downside is currently the new baseboards are a toss up for O Gauge, or a OO Gauge layout. I have however found my inspiration for O Gauge it was Ditchling Green I had seen it at an exhibition at some stage and that is what swayed me to 'The Dark Side' as it were. I'd love to do a DCC O Gauge layout, get some sound chips... would be very noisy.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

###### just found out a Heljan Class 20 or 26 requires a minimum radius of 4'6" I have a max of 4'

?? ?? ?? My Heljan Hymek can negotiate old Lima 2ft (yes two foot) radius points, like all my Atlas locos can. Mindyou they all drag the stock off the track in the process..!!!

Maybe the locos can get around the radius, but the minimum of 4'6" is quoted to prevent that very British problem of buffer-locking, though I should think it's pretty close - 6ft is usually regarded as a minimum "safe" radius that will avoid the problem with longer things like locos and bogie wagons and coaches.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I too have recently moved up into O Gauge after reading the article in Hornby magazine on Melcombe Magna. Parkside Dundas wagons are a joy to make and I agree the superb Slaters kits only suffer from poor instructions. Connoiseur kits are great and Jim, the owner, is very very helpful. I have made four of his kits now. I started with the little 0-4-0 Starter Loco based on the LSWR C14 and then moved on to the G6. His Skill builder wagons are great too, the LNER Brake Van being particularly pleasing.

It is very worth while joining the O Gauge Guild.

A Question - I understand that a magazine recently (in 2011) did an article on making an O gauge Parkside SR Brake Van. Does anybody know what magazine that was in??

Phil

What is the most prtotypically correct looking Peco or C&L both Flex track and points, or what do you prefer.

David

Hi,

I understand that Peco track is based on 26 sleepers per 60 ft track panel. C&L track is based on 24 sleepers per 60ft which is more prototypical for ordinary track. 26 sleepers were used on tight curves and over bridges in some circumstances. They both look pretty good.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Ken Payne used Peco for his big layout. David Jenkinson used C+L both were regarded as top class layouts. Personally I enjoy making trackwork but if you want ready made pointwork Peco is a good solution.

Don

ps both ran well too.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved up to O gauge a few years ago and I think O gauge has a presence that you just don't get in the smaller scales.

Most O gauge modellers are of the older generation but can have a lot of experience to offer.

I consider my self at the younger end 31, there is a bit of snobbery as well but I just brush that off. It's a pity but it dose exist.

I've built a few peco and parkside kits which make nice models, O gauge is more expensive but you don't have to spend thousands.

With lionheart entering the scene it can only be a matter of time before more RTR models based on OO build practices ie injection moulded plastic metal chassis are available.

Have a go I'm sure you won't regret it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old topic but after becoming incredibly frustrated with a rather uncooperative OO Gauge model I've spent a lovely hour or so working on the Peco Wagon I started all that time ago the work I have done is fairly mundane - I've cleaned up some glue oozing through the joins and had to take off a set of buffers and reattach them as I didn't apply enough glue first time around - all fairly standardised stuff.

I also started looking at potentially doing a O Gauge layout in a set of boxfiles - the problem I have is I need two points and another yard or so of track which will cost me an arm & a leg to purchase. And then of the aggravation of the OO Gauge layout the inevitable question of should I just do away with it and spend a bit more on O Gauge trackwork instead and set up a bucolic BLT that I had designed as a child so many years ago playing with ERTL Thomas trains & Brio. Would that really satisfy my modelling desires? Or would it be another dead end. :)

Its nice to see - and slightly worrying that I have influenced others to have a go a O Gauge, How are the Peco minerals wagons going Ken? I think I might take my wagon down to the shed tomorrow and slap some black paint on the underframe after I have listed some more stuff on eBay that is.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Archived