De Winton Coffee Pot

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

http://www.isengard.co.uk/images/JPEGS/Chaloner_BG23-7-11Castell%20Cidwm%20with%20Upnor%20support.jpg

Does that look fun - or what? Running from Dinas, all the way over the top and down to stay at the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway for a week. Note the support loco in the background, but I do not believe it was needed. Great stuff!

• RMweb Premium

This special event was to help launch a new book 'De Winton of Caernarvon' by A Fisher, D Fisher, & G Pierce Jones' published by 'Narrow Gauge and Industrial' (Roy Link). Book details here http://www.de-winton.com/ and also http://www.de-winton.com/de_winton/images/DW%20Flyer%2002.pdf

I have copied the posting below from NGRM-Online which gave advance notice of this historic run

Tomorrow 23rd July, the De-Winton Chaloner will be undertaking what is almost certainly its longest ever solo journey along almost the whole length of the WHR. In the process visiting its birth place and delivering copies of the new book by rail to the WHHR in Porthmadog, where the loco will stay for a week or so before crossing the town via the WHR to visit the FR.

For anyone who is going the projected times of this run are as follows:

1300 dep Dinas

1320 arr Caernarfon

1345 dep Caernarfon

1400 arr Dinas (to cross with service train.)

1530 dep Dinas

1615 arr Waunfawr (to cross with a service train.)

1640 dep Waunfawr

1715 Rhyd Ddu

1755 Beddgelert

1830 Pont Croesor

1900 arr Pen-y-Mount Junction for access to WHHR

I understand that the authors of the book (and the owners of the loco) will be with the loco and there may well be opportunities for signing copies of the book. (Hopefully after they have cleaned up a bit after the marathon run!)

This will be the second train to use the WHHR/WHR junction since the completion of the line through to Porthmadog and the first to originate from the northern end of the WHR to do so.

Brian Meldon

. . . . and the quote below from a visitor to the line

Saw Chaloner (De Winton) and its train on Saturday on its run down to Caernarfon.

The crew were busy applying the brakes on that downhill run (already late, according to the timetable).

Coupled to the loco, were two 4 wheel wagons, with the guests sitting on plastic chairs, fortunately the weather was superb.

It was accompanied, at a distance, by Upnor Castle propelling an all steel open wagon, filled with containers (presumely water)

although I could not see any coal, from were I was positioned.

Great to see it, but few people about taking it in.

Stan.

Hope that helps

Mike

Now thats what its all about....:D -what a cracking day out that must have been -and very much in the spirit of the original company-you can almost see the sepia tone print of Challoner hauling a single `bug box` on a wet winter sunday for the benefit of 2 or 3 desperately grateful patrons.

On a related note,I was pleased to see,whilst sharing some quality T.V time with the small one ,a prog where 2 families are set in a Victorian environment (Starve on sheep mountain or similar ) and the treat is a train ride and picnic:- Featured are Palmerston,a bug box & a couple of the old bogie coaches-A neat piece of marketing -the coaches ,rather than use the N.W.N.G.R lettered stock (appropriate for a Victorian feature ) are all lettered for the W.H.R-subliminal advertising at its finest B) -but hey-just delighted to see them back on the line after all these years

ATB

Nick

Archived