Model Rail 160 September 2011

dibber25

Gosh, is it only September? I'm working on the November Steam World! It will soon be Christmas!!

Here are the runners and riders for MR160:

The Big Picture - no prizes for guessing, and he's bringing it to Model Rail live and we're going to fill it with Sentinels!

Bachmann's news

Reviews:

Hornby 4-VEP

Hornby Hawksworths in GWR

Farish Class 101

OO Works '2F' 0-6-0

Heljan/Hattons Class 28

Layouts:

Matford John Farmer/Chris Nevard

Bishop's Bridge Benn Pollard/Andy York

Masterplan: Madderport John Ahern/Richard Foster

Workbench - How to:

Make basic scenery George Dent

Build a traverser fiddle yard Gordon Stolliday

Make corrugated iron Paul Lunn

Ultimate Class 37 George Dent

Bufferstops Supertest Dent/Marriott

Evercreech New - more pictures

Q&A Airfix with chips

Model Mail and Backscene

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

And the little scenic tips supplement as well - or is that only with subscription copies? Anyway a very good issue with loads of interesting stuff including some fascinating reviews which tell an interesting and perhaps slightly unexpected story in themselves (solid corridor partitions - how peculiarblink.gif).

• RMweb Gold

There is a small caption on the cover which claims that the mag has a new look? I van't see anything new about it.

Not that I'm complaining. I think MR is a great magazine.

As mentioned earlier, the scenery supplement is full of useful tips.

The layout 'plans' look a bit different and the overall look seems a bit different as well - rather brighter I thought and a nice cover image as well with a bit of visual impact. As to deliveries of subs copies mine only arrived yesterday and they don't all seem to be delivered on the same day - a few months back mine was nearly a week behind arrivals reported on here, presumably all down to the Post Office and possibly the way the printers despatch them?

• RMweb Premium

Mine was waiting for me when I got home last night B) - some cracking shots of Matford, and I love the Blue Pullman on Evercreech New :yes: - the scenic supplement was very welcome too..couple of nice tips in there...well done, MR !!

• RMweb Gold

An interesting read as usual.

Re the article on producing corrugated iron sheets. I was just wondering about using modelscene plastic sheet as a former and press. I know there was a thread somewhere discussing the legality and morality of using commercial products in such ways so am I correct in thinking that they have given permission to do this?

I had thought the same BoD.

I have noticed for the second issue running that an article has been stopped mid sentence (page 13, Article Hornby models delayed).

The small booklet 107 Tips for top scenery has a double posted tip on page 14 Tips 86 and 87, so really 106 tips.

A proof reader could prove useful.

Don't get me wrong it's still the main mag that I buy every month. The articles are interesting to read, but I feel some are stretched out a little to fill pages and this months article on the ultimate 37 was a little disapointing as it used an already great model. I expected a Hornby or Lima to be used (before anyone points out it says Bachmann on the cover, the bag obscured it). The layout plans page (I love), everything you need to know at a glance.

Oh well, just need to wait and see what next months brings.

All the best,

Mark

The delayed Hornby models bit can easilly be read as 2010 B17s being put back to 2012 whereas the 2010 ones are apparently still due this year and its the 2011 additional ones that are to appear in 2012.

Confused? You will be :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I picked Model Rail up for the first time in months and despite the odd error in editing I was most impressed with it.

What I liked most are the reviews, in most cases they were objective, considered and obviously written by someone who knew the subject matter. I shall purchase next month's issue on the strength of this one - well done to all at MR.

Glenn

Archived