Insulating a Anchorage D13

newport_rod

I have an old Mallard Models GWR 517 class 2-4-0T which has an open framed motor. I believe an Anchorage, possibly a D13 (certainly a single ended one, not like the DS10). I wish to convert it to DCC but am hampered by the fact that the frame of the motor is live to one side. It runs perfectly satisfactorily so I’m loath to change it so does anyone know a (preferably) simple and effective way of insulating the brush mount that’s live to the frame please?

Cheers

Rod

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

If it's a D13 then you should be able to insulate both motor brushes from the frame.

As it was built one side has a brush holder that goes into an insulating bush and has a fibre washer as well to prevent possible shorts to the from.

The Insulating bush used to be available seperately so that you could make both brush holders isolated from the motor frame.

M G Sharp used to do these bot I think stooped stocking them a long time ago.

Not sure if Roxey Mouldings are now the importers of D13 motors? If so they may be able to advise further or stock the bits.

If not....

You need a PTFE sleeve to go into the brsuh holder hole on the uninsualted side and then a brush holder that can screw into that.

If you have a lathe - or a friend with one, then this can be done quite simply.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your responses Ozzy & Phil

OzzyO - No, they are plunger style bruhes a bit like on the Mashima or Tenshodo open frame motors.

Phil - Good tip, I tried Roxey and they used to sell the maintenance kits but they're long out of stock. So it like like a fabrication or lathe job - easier than a new motor and gearbox though.

Regards

Rod

• 1 month later...

If you have fully insulated wheels all round, you could isolate the pickups from the chassis, feed them to the chip, then it doesn't matter that one pole of the motor is connected to the chassis.. Might be a lot easier to change some wheels, if needed, than attempt surgery on an otherwise reliable motor.....

Archived