Internal steel-work colour? Help with painting?

For my 2011 Challenge I need to paint the structural "Steel-work" (made from Plastruct), and don't have a clue what colour to use. The prototype is/was Hockley Goods Shed, GWR in 1937/8.

My gut feeling is for a faded matte black, anyone got a better idea?

Expanding the topic a little, I need to paint plastruct girders etc, (see my 2011 Challenge entry) and I'm not happy about getting a decent coating with a brush, and there's no way I can justify an air-brush, even if it was practical on a part finished model.

Trials with Acrylics have shown disturbing amount of brush marks even after three coats, but that's without a primer. Since my structures are already assembled within a building, I can't use the often quoted "Halfords Primer", So, for brush application what is recommended for priming Plastruct?

Any tips on brush application? straight from the tin/tube or diluted and if so with what and how much?

Despite my advancing years I'm very much a beginner at getting a model anywhere near completion!

Any advice welcome.

Hi Don, to be honest I'd ignore the primer and try diving straight in with an Enamel top coat, unless the plastic is subject to wear and/or flexure which would both add to problems of paint peeling back off. I've found acrylics to be a bit translucent in the past, and as a result generally only make limited use of them. Not without their uses though. :yes:

If the top coat has to be enamel, seek out a brushing primer from your model shop - just watch and pick one of a shade suited to your top coat - mid-grey or red oxide may well show through light creams, pale greys etc. for instance.

Other things to watch are the surface of the plastic being greasy - the paint won't stick, resulting in brushstrokes or premature wear. May be worth giving the plastic a brush down with enamel thinners or other solvent (that won't melt the plastic) before starting.

hope this helps... it's a start if not a conclusive answer :)

Archived