LMS 20T brakes

I have three models from Hornby of the LMS 20T long wheelbase brake vans. All of which I plan to modify and paints and weather and that.

But can I just ask what was the box under frames of a lot of them I initally though it was the vacuum equipment but I have seen grey one and some which appear to be unfitted with them.

Thank you very much

Sylvian

The attached images may be of some use to you, ignore the foot boards they are incorrect. I ahve included 2 general arrangements shots, a W-iron detail with horse hook and a detail of the brake gear at one end, showing bow girders, cranks and the pull rod tunnel between the two scrap iron boxes. Of note are the remains of L angle fastened to the scrap iron boxes, this makes me wonder if the footboards on this vehicles have been bracket off the scrap boxes at some point?

Boris

post-4569-0-96705000-1313244440_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-29107200-1313244495_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-49495600-1313244560_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-82057100-1313244630_thumb.jpg

The 4mm Wagon Part 3 has a good section on modelling these by the way. The footboards should have hinged sections past the axleboxes.

I don't think i've seen one of these with the footboards bracketed off the ballast boxes though those weld marks do suggest it.

There is variation in the brake pull rods with the vee section braced outwards on some examples like that at the NRM.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/1718-lms-stanier-brake/page__display__detail a couple of detail shots.

I don't think i've seen one of these with the footboards bracketed off the ballast boxes though those weld marks do suggest it.

I'm only guessing that the footboards were bracketed that way because it seems coincidental that the weld marks are almost behind the footboard brackets, and this is repeated on both sides of the vehicles, there are one or two other oddities with this van, the only other thing that occurs to be is whether is has had the gauging boards fitted to the outside at some point for gauging lineside structures, bridges and tunnels?

I have three models from Hornby of the LMS 20T long wheelbase brake vans. All of which I plan to modify and paints and weather and that.

But can I just ask what was the box under frames of a lot of them I initally though it was the vacuum equipment but I have seen grey one and some which appear to be unfitted with them.

Thank you very much

Sylvian

there are many variations in these vans, what period are you modelling, do you wish to represent the original LMS builds or the two later BR built lots? neither of which were vacuum fitted, dia 503 being unfitted, whilst dia 505 were vacuum through piped only as built, but the equipment changed over the years, some even recieving air through pipes, so my advice would be to model from specific photograghs from your chosen period

Nigel

so my advice would be to model from specific photograghs from your chosen period

Of which there are many here, though maybe not of the appropriate period they do give an insight into design changes.

I did an article on this model in the July '96 edition of BRM and coincidentally, was thinking of doing a brief blog item on them. LMS diagrams were D1919, D2036 and D2068; the deeper weightbox came in under D2068, numbers from 731192 upwards. D2036 covered the change from narrower duckets to the wider ones on the model, but it wasnt unknown for them to be swapped around on repairs.

Hi, did you know that Lanarkshire Models & Supplies do a Track Cleaner kit to fit into the self same guards van and that includes the deep ballast box of the later vans. You don't have to have the cleaning roller in the van all the time but the frame which forms the box is fitted semi permanently, but why not leave the roller in to clean the track every time you run it. See photos and website.

post-10324-0-82644300-1313313409_thumb.jpg

post-10324-0-27753200-1313313454_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps, :)

Dave Franks.

P.S. I also do the correct buffers for fitted, piped and unfitted vans.

Hi all, just had a look and I find I have quite a few packs of the buffers for LMS Stanier guards van as is being discussed here, so, between now and next Sunday midnight (21-08-11), if you order a Track Cleaner kit via the website or by mail order I'll throw in a packet of the correct buffers for free, yes free, that's £1.95 saved. What's more I'll even put a couple of scale coupling hooks with mounting plate in with the buffers.

So, if you've been thinking about ordering one after reading the recent articles in the mags and the 'highly commended' result in Model Rail magazine's review of track cleaners, now is the time to get one and detail up the guards van at the same time.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Also attending EXPO North in September

Thanks guys.

I'm generally modelling BR North Eastern Region. But I'm generally trying to be quite flexable with rolling stock. I have three of these brakes, one unfitted and two fitted all of which will be updated somewhere allong the l;ine in regards to stock requirements.

Kind regards

Dear all

I have now scanned and posted my photographs of LMS design brake vans built for BR - they are at http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brlmsbrakevan

Please note, none were "fitted", LMS vans were either equipped with a through pipe or non pipe. Through pipe wagons were also in freight stock red when new - but the pipe has the external steel pipe white and not red one.

Despite LMS vans allegedly being uncomfortable to ride in, and unpopular (they were also quite low) they lasted a long time!

Paul Bartlett

Oh interesting! could I ask, if none were fitted then would they not be allowed on parcel workings?

Or would the through pipe negate this?

They were XP so permitted to work in mail trains. But speed limits were progressively introduced for 4 and 6 wheel stock so they became less versatile.

Paul Bartlett

Archived