The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Laptop PC freezing

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon,

I wonder if anyone can give me a few pointers on the following:

My relatively new laptop (less than 2 months old), an HP G72, keeps freezing when I start it up. The only way to unlock is to turn it off and on again, which I am guessing is not good in the long run for it.

I have C-Cleaner which I use daily to clear history, cookies and clean the registry and I recently bought the 'Tune Up Utilities' software which the local computer repair shop said was one of the best on the market, but having run this and the one stop maintenance, I still get the freezing.

I get a blue revolving circle displayed on top of the internet connection icon, and when I see that, it means it has frozen....sometimes 4 restarts to clear it.

Any help on diagnostics etc would be greatly received.

Incidentally, my wife has exactly the same machine, purchased the month before, with the same software etc and she never has this problem :blink:

Many thanks in advance,

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a return to fix under warranty!

Agreed. Being so new and also by a label manufacturer, the best course of action is to return it for repair or replacement. It's probable that a hardware component is in trouble, could be any of a number of things, but on such a new machine that's something for the retailer/manufacturer to sort out.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a return to fix under warranty!

Agreed. Being so new and also by a label manufacturer, the best course of action is to return it for repair or replacement. It's probable that a hardware component is in trouble, could be any of a number of things, but on such a new machine that's something for the retailer/manufacturer to sort out.

Many thanks Jack / Ian

Will do so - The question is, how long they will take to repair it...being as how I purchased it here in Spain :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

I removed a few programmes this afternoon, including 'tune up utilities' and so far so good.

Perhaps this is interfering with the antivirus at start up... :blink:

As I say, my wife's machine has it and no problems, so lets see how the next few days go...

Good Luck Pete. I use FNAC regularly in France and their sales support has always seemed good to me. Hope you are able to get the laptop repaired/replaced without problems.

A couples of tips (sorry if you already know this):-

Once you get something back from FNAC in working order the first thing you should do (assuming you are using Windows 7, or Vista) is create a recovery disk and a 'restore point' before you start to add any software. That way if anything goes pear-shaped you have the option to get your machine back to a stage where it worked. The restore point should be the first port of call, the recovery disk is the 'nuclear option' as it will always take your PC back to its factory settings. After you have installed your software and you are happy that the PC is still working OK you can create another restore point (in addition to the original one). If you then install further software etc you can then fallback to the previous state if it goes wrong.

Restore points don't take the place of regular file packups (photos/documents etc) so you should still have a backup to DVD or external drive scheduled.

I am not familiar with Tune-up Utilities but if it does include an anti-virus component then this could be causing problems as if there is more than one anit-virus programme running they are likely to fight each other to a standstill. The general rule is 'only one anti-virus programme at a time'

• RMweb Gold

I've been developing / supporting software on PCs for donkeys years, never need a registry cleaner yet - my advice DONT use them, ever

Thanks B66606....the problem is, I am not the great with computers so am a bit of a sucker for those 'resolve all your problems' programmes...

Good Luck Pete. I use FNAC regularly in France and their sales support has always seemed good to me. Hope you are able to get the laptop repaired/replaced without problems.

Many thanks also BL - That sounds like good advice too...let's see what Fnac say...

• RMweb Gold

Just to hopefully put this to bed...

Visited Fnac today, and the guy asked me if I had tried an HP factory restore yet. He said it would take about a week to do it and if it needed further work, could be a few more weeks on top of that.

I decided to bring it home and try it myself. Having spent the afternoon doing this and restoring programs, it seems to have stopped it, so perhaps it was a virus?

Many thanks all for your help in this matter

Pete