Diesel Nicknames: Nose Peds?

James

For 55's you can add: U-Boat or Talc Dispenser (another one I only cam across recently)

For me that confirms "The Coachman's" point that many of the names were dream't up by those who never saw one on BR.

Pre TOPS we just called them "Deltic's"

For me that confirms "The Coachman's" point that many of the names were dream't up by those who never saw one on BR.

Pre TOPS we just called them "Deltic's"

I understand that U-Boat or Das Boot has been around for many years on account of the marine application of their engines. Talc Dispenser is essentially some frivolous rubbish dreamed up by somebody that has seen them chucking towers of thick white clag in the air. Doesn't stop it amusing me though. :P

I like the 20's being called choppers, shame the sound isn't really like a harley davidson, but they still make such a beautiful noise :)

Harleys are called 'tractors' (due to their agricultural sound, and build quality) by all those that don't ride them or think them so wonderful. :sarcastic:

• RMweb Gold

I understand that U-Boat or Das Boot has been around for many years on account of the marine application of their engines. Talc Dispenser is essentially some frivolous rubbish dreamed up by somebody that has seen them chucking towers of thick white clag in the air. Doesn't stop it amusing me though. :P

And that sort of thing shows just how daft some of these names are - the Royal Navy used various diesel engines in submarines over the years including Paxman Valentas (so it seems HSTs never acquired the right nickname) and an MAN design used in the Western's 'Warships' was almost the same as a type used in U-Boats but the RN never used the Deltic engine in submarines.

As someone has already said, I reckon many of these names have been invented by folk who never saw the locos in traffic or are aware of the proper type descriptions - and as Coachman has said the latter was what we used in days gone by.

The “bashers” had there own language, most of which was thought up during “refreshment” stops. Yes, I know most of it was daft, but we were having a good time, seeing the world (well, the bit between the station and the nearest ale house). A lot of the nicknames are derogatory, bashers had there own favorites, It was rare to find someone who liked 40's and 45's, so 40 bashers called peeks “wagons”, and peek bashers called 40's buckets, I cannot comment on this forum, what 50 bashers called 47's!. I can remember my mate refusing to get on a train with 47823 on the front while waiting at Dunblane at 01.00 in the morning, his words were “an't doing that twank” twank? Twin tank, long range,

I am sure this debate will go on for some time, but for now,......... oh look, Bert's chinging up to the baglet on the rolling riot.

Gary

The “bashers” had there own language, most of which was thought up during “refreshment” stops. Yes, I know most of it was daft, but we were having a good time, seeing the world (well, the bit between the station and the nearest ale house). A lot of the nicknames are derogatory, bashers had there own favorites, It was rare to find someone who liked 40's and 45's, so 40 bashers called peeks “wagons”, and peek bashers called 40's buckets, I cannot comment on this forum, what 50 bashers called 47's!. I can remember my mate refusing to get on a train with 47823 on the front while waiting at Dunblane at 01.00 in the morning, his words were “an't doing that twank” twank? Twin tank, long range,

I am sure this debate will go on for some time, but for now,......... oh look, Bert's chinging up to the baglet on the rolling riot.

Gary

I imagine the 50 bashers would probably used words like: "...rancid strumming square piece of crap..." and conversely your 47 bashers would refer to the 50 as a "filthy dubbing pile of crap etc etc"

For the most part, they are all gone and not getting in anyone's way any more so this is of little consequence.

I imagine the 50 bashers would probably used words like: "...rancid strumming square piece of crap..." and conversely your 47 bashers would refer to the 50 as a "filthy dubbing pile of crap etc etc"

For the most part, they are all gone and not getting in anyone's way any more so this is of little consequence.

and your point is????

I think my point is that a lot of this, as has been stated, came about from a little gentle rivalry. Many (if not all) of the loco types involved have gone from daily mainline use so no-one out there in bashing land is getting bowled out by a ped, duff, log, whatever.

Therefore, it is of little consequence as people can go and enjoy a loco with a fair amount of certainty that it will show (says he that went for D1661 the other to find D7017 in it's place).

I don't think it's ever really been of any consequence, just interesting to know why nicknames have been & continue to be applied to loco classes, they were in steam days & still are which is why I asked in an earlier post if this was a particularly british thing

Nigel

I still don't understand why there is "gentle rivalry" or "bashing"? They're just locomotives................. They really are inanimate.

Best, Pete.

OK... fair comment. I don't understand why one person favours eleven men over a differently dressed team of eleven men and such "gentle rivalry" exists there in spades. Bashing is much the same as football fanaticism but with trains. You follow a class and defend their reputation, even when it is clearly pointless to do so. It all needs to be taken with a pinch of salt though, I think. :superstition:

Oh, and locos are not inanimate. Some of them are very lively (with the right driver) and going into it further, many of them have individual characteristics and behaviours, trust me.

I don't think it's ever really been of any consequence, just interesting to know why nicknames have been & continue to be applied to loco classes, they were in steam days & still are which is why I asked in an earlier post if this was a particularly british thing

Nigel

Why are nicknames applied to anything?

Bashing is much the same as football fanaticism but with trains.

And the behaviour of quite a few 'bashers' was (and probably still is) no better than that of football hooligans. I am not the only former railwayman who would prefer a train load of football supporters to a train load of railway 'enthusiasts'

is this a very british thing? withe exception of GE U-boats, & GM tunnel motors, I can't remember US diesel products being referred to in the same varied & obscure way

Nigel

There are a few others, such as these 'Red Barns' (SD40-2F, a model unique to Canadian Pacific), but I agree - I've not heard many more.

couldn't agree more Raffles, I did say in an earlier post that I wondered if this was a parculiarly British thing?I am a railway enthusiast & have my own favoured time period, loco classes etc, as have others, but I've never understood the almost agressive attitude of some towards some aspects of the railway be it prototype or model

Nigel

.......but I've never understood the almost aggressive attitude of some towards some aspects of the railway be it prototype or model

If someone in the 1950s had run up and down the platform shouting Semi or Jube or Brit, it would usually result in a clap around the ears from some tall bystander. post-6680-0-18825400-1313780936.gif

First, I must apologize for leading this debate away from its original title, I was trying to make a point were these “silly” or otherwise names originated. I will not disagree that at times bashers acted like football hooligans, its like all things, this tended to be the minority, but they produced the majority of the problems.

Back to the original subject, class 31's were re-engined with EE 12SVT units after problems with the original Merlies units. As I have said before 31's are known as peds. 37's are fitted with 12CSVT's (the “C” means that they are intercooled) so a 31 with a nose, I dare say someone thought of that one up.

Gary

Not a loco nickname, which I find annoying on the whole, but company nicknames. I quite like the way EWS/DBS, Freightliner and DRS are called the Red, Green and Blue teams respectively. E.g. "The Red team Skodas on the Pretendolino kept causing the train to caped so they got the Green team in instead." ;-)

The original 20 were fitted with DC generators for the ETH supply, rather than AC alternators. I believe they were the only Brush type 4s built with ETH from new

Close :)

D1960/61 (the last two of the batch delivered in blue) were also ETH fitted from new, of the more conventional variety.

Archived