Crossover point rodding question

I wish to know how the drive,for the first point in a pair that form a crossover operated by one lever,is taken off the point rod?I've trawled through the 16 pages of this section of RM web and found a couple of photo's showing a crank with 4 runs of rodding above it,one of which is driving it,but I can't see how the crank is connected to the rod.I'm assuming there must be some sort of clamp arrangment hiding under rodding.Also am I right in thinking that if this is a facing crossover,each facing point lock would have its own lever,so that 3 levers are needed to operate the crossover?

Thanks in advance

Tim

For standard channel rodding there is a "Drop Lug" bolted underneath. This is similar to the channel fishplate but has an eye below it of the joint to the crank to be fitted on.

The arrangment can be operated by 2, 3 or 4 levers, depending on how far from the box, the number of levers available, etc. My prefered opion would be 4 levers for ease of keeping evrything adjusted by the lineman.

Merf (Retired lineman)

• RMweb Gold

The arrangement of facing point lock levers varied - both between Companies/Regions and over the years. Using a separate FPL lever for each end of the crossover costs levers (obviously) but offers safety advantages especially when levers have to be disconnected for any reason and also usually has design advantages in the interlocking itself so it seems to have been by far the preferred method from what I've seen. Using the same lever to lock both ends did happen (I wonder if there are still any out there?) but apart from the disadvantages obvious from the previous sentence it can be a pig of a job to set it up and adjust - when I was in South Wales many years ago we had a double junction replaced by single leads and, presumably to minimise locking alterations and keep the relevant levers together, we finished up with the FPLs at both ends of crossover worked off the same lever - it took the S&T blokes a couple of days to get it working properly and seemed to cause them far more problems than getting two point ends working correctly off a single lever. Apart from that it was a heavy pull and it took several weeks to settle down reliably although once it had it was perfectly ok (apart from being a bit heavy).

it can be a pig of a job to set it up and adjust - when I was in South Wales many years ago we had a double junction replaced by single leads and, presumably to minimise locking alterations and keep the relevant levers together, we finished up with the FPLs at both ends of crossover worked off the same lever - it took the S&T blokes a couple of days to get it working properly and seemed to cause them far more problems than getting two point ends working correctly off a single lever. Apart from that it was a heavy pull and it took several weeks to settle down reliably although once it had it was perfectly ok (apart from being a bit heavy).

Exactly Mike, been there, done that many times !

Merf.

For standard channel rodding there is a "Drop Lug" bolted underneath. This is similar to the channel fishplate but has an eye below it of the joint to the crank to be fitted on.

I can post a picture of a drop lug if needed..

This point a Barnetby East is driven via a lug in this point run.

post-4034-0-89283300-1313776708_thumb.jpg

The far end of this crossover at Gainsborough Lea Road is also driven by a lug under the point run though it's too far away to see.

post-4034-0-66008000-1313776941_thumb.jpg

Who is going to explain about the neutral point and compensation?

I didn't notice the OP say anything about facing points?

A crossover can be worked by one lever, with the lug to work the first pair of switches.

Facing or trailing does it matter it's still one of a pair driven by a lug.

Archived