HO - Anyone using Semi-Scale Wheel-sets - 88's?

trisonic

Can you use them (.088) on ME track and turnouts ................

Best, Pete.

Just answering the original question - sorry for being a bit late - I don't take a peek at RM Web very often.

I actually tried out 088's (NWSL, REBOX and some Athearn) on my own track which includes old parts with Shinohara (aka as Lambert and Walthers) and hand-laid. I also had some not yet laid ME and PECO 83 turnouts I tested . For me, the 088's (only) bumped noticeably on all the frogs. But then I was specifically looking for it.

Not having any points is a very special case. Then you could mount the wheel backwards with the flanges on the outside, or use grooved rollers, and they would still work fine. :(

Ted

• 1 month later...

I bought a pack of 12 Kadee code 88 plain backs from P& H Models at Pontefract yesterday. I've re-wheeled 3 cars, an Accurail 40ft wooden boxcar, an Athearn tank car and an ore jenny without any difficuties. There wasn't a noticeable visible difference in the boxcar but the tank and ore cars do look much better. In view of this I will concentrate on them in future.

I'm fairly confident there won't be any tracking problems as the layout I'm running them on doesn't have any points.

steve

The only discernible difference I've found is for end-on photographs. Semi-scale wheels look so much better in photographs. Running-wise, the semis run through my Peco code 75 and 83 as well as standard Kadee wheelsets. One thing toensure though, is to allow a little slop in the truck screw for basic compensation, otherwise the wheels are prone to derail over bumps - even the flattest layouts have the occasional bump in the track, no matter how well laid.

I have some code 70 ME turnouts, but haven't got round to building a layout for them yet

Jon

Archived