Peco SL99 Three way medium radius isulfrog

Hi All

Iv just bought this set of points for my fiddle yard and when I tested with a Loco & coaches they derail on the left hand side of the point but run ok when set to right hand side. Thinking that surface was uneven I took them off and tried on flat surface with same result having bought 2 of these points I tried the other with the same result.

Thinking it might be the B2B I ran my Bachy 57, same thing happened derailed left hand side even at very slow speed seems to ride up the blade like the coaches.

Iv now redesigned my fiddle yard and use Peco SL 91/92 instead and the problem has seemed to have stopped.

Any ideas or anyone else had this type of problem?

I am aware that left hand side is a tighter radius than the right but its not like my old Hornby setrack.

Confused

Cheers

Stu

Questions:

- how did you fix the point down to the board?

- is the point motorised?

- was there a straight piece of track at the toe end of the point or a curve?

- have you checked that the switch rail is fully home against the stock rail when switch (that there is no obstruction)?

- is the spring functioning?

- is it only bogie stock that derails?

unlikely that two are faulty from new.

normally very reliable points if laid flat and not distorted.

If you are suspicious of B2B then I would no more trust a Bachy 57 than any other piece of stock.

Questions:

- how did you fix the point down to the board?

- is the point motorised?

- was there a straight piece of track at the toe end of the point or a curve?

- have you checked that the switch rail is fully home against the stock rail when switch (that there is no obstruction)?

- is the spring functioning?

- is it only bogie stock that derails?

unlikely that two are faulty from new.

normally very reliable points if laid flat and not distorted.

If you are suspicious of B2B then I would no more trust a Bachy 57 than any other piece of stock.

Thanks Kenton for the reply,

-Iv fixed down point with Peco tacks,

-The point is not motorised,

-There was a curve just before point in fiddle yard but not when I tested it away from the layout,

-The points are fitting up correctly,

-And spring is working ok,

-Use only bogie stock as its going to be carriage sdg.

-I used my Hornby Maroon MK1's plus Bachy 57 as these tend to give the most trouble.

Iv now redesiged my yard, my reasion for useing 3 way point was to gain maximun room but iv lost hardly anything by useing Peco small radius points.

Going to find another place to put 3 way point (possibly in my MPD)and take on board what you've said.

My Setrack points are disappearing very fast as I learn the benefit of Peco code 100.

Thanks again

Stu

Just a quick word of advice - STOP using track pins !! They are ugly and they distort the track - even if you pre drill the holes. They are sold for settrack type trainset layouts - that is why there are no pre-drilled holes in any of the other points or flexitrack. Use double sided tape/ copydex/ glue to stick the track down prior to ballasting which will set it solid. putting pins through point sleepers is one of the most common reasons for points failing.

Using small radius points with modern bogie stock can also be a problem and you may find that matters have not improved - especially at speed or where there is a double change in direction (such as preceded by a curve or in a crossing)

Just a quick word of advice - STOP using track pins !! They are ugly and they distort the track - even if you pre drill the holes. They are sold for settrack type trainset layouts - that is why there are no pre-drilled holes in any of the other points or flexitrack. Use double sided tape/ copydex/ glue to stick the track down prior to ballasting which will set it solid. putting pins through point sleepers is one of the most common reasons for points failing.

Using small radius points with modern bogie stock can also be a problem and you may find that matters have not improved - especially at speed or where there is a double change in direction (such as preceded by a curve or in a crossing)

I don't know about that mate, I've been using track pins to keep flexi track in place for the last 30 years or so, and never had a problem to date.

Also, there are pre-drilled holed in the Peco points. You've got to turn them over to see them.

When you use track pins to hold the flexi track in place, don't drive them fully home, that will cause the track to distort.

The most likely cause of derailment when locomotive/coaches are travelling over the point work is the B2B wheel measurement being incorrectly set at the factory.

K9-70

I had a problem with the Heljan 58 on curved setrack points - what it turned out to be was the bogie fouling something (driver footsteps perhaps) when going one way and not the other as one was in tighter than the other.

It might be just worth checking that - if you've fitted brake pipes and all the other stuff that may also be connected.

Hi All

Iv just bought this set of points for my fiddle yard and when I tested with a Loco & coaches they derail on the left hand side of the point but run ok when set to right hand side. Thinking that surface was uneven I took them off and tried on flat surface with same result having bought 2 of these points I tried the other with the same result.

Thinking it might be the B2B I ran my Bachy 57, same thing happened derailed left hand side even at very slow speed seems to ride up the blade like the coaches.

Iv now redesigned my fiddle yard and use Peco SL 91/92 instead and the problem has seemed to have stopped.

I am aware that left hand side is a tighter radius than the right but its not like my old Hornby setrack.

Confused

Stu...

Have a read of this old link from RMweb we found it was one of the point blades that needed adjusting !!..the answer is a bit down the thread .

3 way

Regards Trevor.. :D

Hi All

Confused

Stu...

Have a read of this old link from RMweb we found it was one of the point blades that needed adjusting !!..the answer is a bit down the thread .

3 way

Regards Trevor.. :D

Thanks Trevor

Thats very interesting read weather iv got the confidence to butcher my ??20 points is another matter as I don't want to end up with just a right hand point :lol:

I think ill send one back and keep other for MPD and try the Mod if problem carrys on.

Cheers

Stu

Archived