Chadwood

Rammy

I decided to crack on this weekend and try and make a start on laying the trackwork around the depot area. I managed to get an hour in the loft on Saturday only to get disturbed by my kids coming up wanting to "play trains". Whilst the loops are independent from the depot area I am working on, I found that I couldn't really get much done. Anyway, it was nice to see the kids wanting to get involved. My 8 year old son soon got fed up and returned downstairs, but my 6 year old daughter was really enjoying herself.

Derby-20110129-00020-1.jpg

Sunday was a little more productive with some time alone up there . After gluing down the neoprene cork base yesterday I was ready to start deciding on a plan and laying the track. Several points were layed and point motor holes drilled ready, a couple of droppers wired in to get me started and 66532 made it into the half built shed.

IMG-20110130-00027.jpg

IMG-20110130-00029.jpg

Hopefully I can keep up the momentum this week and get some more finished off.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Started work on a control panel tonight.

An aluminium panel with a 45 degree bend at the top is being used and will attach between the roof beams in my loft adjacent to the depot (where most of the points will be located). I have mapped out a plan on paper and temporarliy attached this to the panel so I could drill through for the LED lenses and switches. I am using centre sprung switches from CPC and some bi-colour red/green LEDS at each point to indicate stop/go for each dircetion.

Managed to get all of the holes drilled, lenses & most of the switches fitted. TomorrowI hope to pop to Halfords and get some black tape to mark out the tracks and I may start the wiring.

Here's a few pics of progress so far~:

IMG-20110211-00041.jpg

IMG-20110212-00044.jpg

IMG-20110212-00045.jpg

Dave

Managed to get the wiring started over the weekend. All the switches (except one because I ran out) have been wired up to the edge of the panel ready for a suitable connector to enable easy unplugging in case of modifications. I was going to use 25 way D connectors but found my soldering skills weren't up to it, so today I managed to salvage some old McMurdo connectors from work which have much bigger connections! Tested out one switch and it's LEDs tonight through the plug and it worked fine! I am really happy as this is my first electrical / electronic project and it worked first time.

Many thanks to everyone who has posted their panels on the forum before as that is the only way I had any idea of what to do.

Any here's a few pics to show progress so far:

IMG-20110212-00047.jpg

IMG-20110212-00048.jpg

IMG-20110212-00049.jpg

IMG-20110214-00053.jpg

IMG-20110214-00052.jpg

IMG-20110214-00051.jpg

Hopefully I'll get chance to finish off the wiring this week and get delivery of the missing switches, so maybe installation in the loft this weekend if all goes well.

Dave

I have spent the last few days completing the wiring on my control panel. As my first electrical project I have been really pleased how it has come together. I would encorage any of you who are nervous about building a control panel to just give it a go. It's quite easy to pick up the basic on the forums and put it into practice.

I managed to buy some black pinstripe tape on ebay for £2.04 inc postage - a bargain compared to Halfords, especially when Halfords staff said they didn't stock it despite the website saying they did! Now I am sure that I should have done the tape before fixing the switches and LEDs but you live and learn.

The panel has now been attached to the layout in the loft ready for wiring into the point motors.

Tonight I have soldered wires to the first 5 points ready for installation later this week.

The finished panel:

IMG-20110220-00059.jpg

The completed wiring - not the neatest ever but good enough for now:

IMG-20110220-00060.jpg

The panel installed on the layout:

IMG-20110220-00061.jpg

The spaces on the left & right of the panel are for future expansion. The left side will be the storage sidings and the large space on the right is for a possible fiddle yard which can be accessed from the upper layer of the layout.

Dave

Hi Lewis

No leaks, I believe it was just condensation. This winter I stapled an old flanelette sheet under the rafters above the station area and I haven't had any problems at all. In theory the small drops would be absorbed by this material rather than dropping onto the platforms.

Also, I recently noticed a problem that the "bushes" I had placed at one end of the pavement had caused some watermarking. They appear to absorb the moisture from the air and then wet the card pavements. This has now been resolved by spraying the bushes and the pavements with cheap hairspray to seal them.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Another month passes by with not much action on the layout! However the time hasn't been completely wasted. I spent a few evenings finally finishing off the Scalescenes diesel depot that I started months ago. I became rather fed up during the build, not because of the kit itself but because of the materials I was using. I had been using some free card that was left over inserts from work but I had to glue 2 or 3 of these together to achieve the desired thickness. This resulted in lots of warping on the larger pieces, and that is what I got fed up of. Finally I came across a product called Finnboard which could be bought in 1 and 2mm thickness sheets. This has made the Scalescenes builds a doddle! It is easily cut and doesn't appear to warp either. To compliment the depot I have this week built the free Scalescenes inspection pits. I am going to experiment with some yellow 3mm LEDs to light them up too.

Last weekend I managed to escape the family for a few hours and went over to the Nottingham show. Whilst I was there I managed to pick up my first ever Kadees (#18, #19 and #321 uncoupler). I have seen lots of Kadees used on other layouts and I think they look so much better than standard Hornby / Bachmann couplings with the added benefit of hands free uncoupling. So on my return a #19 was fitted to 66610 as an experiment and I am very pleased with the results. I just need to get in the loft now and fit a Kadee to a container flat and give it a try.

Finally, a new arrival at Chadwood - 57012 in Freightliner livery. Although an older Hornby model, I liked the look of the weathering and thought it may fit in with my other Freightliner stock. It had a DIY lighting kit fitted (quite good too) and I am trying to extend this to add directional lighting now.

Any enough talking, here's a few pics:

57012 Freightliner Envoy

DSCF3969.jpg

New arrival 57012 in the new diesel depot

DSCF3964.jpg

DSCF3963.jpg

Joined in the shed by 66610 with Kadee coupling fitted

DSCF3966.jpg

Scalescenes inspection pit

DSCF3970.jpg

Hopefully my next post will show all of these on the layout rather than the dining table!

Dave

Hi Dave

Good to see the Kadees fitted and good work with the shed - I have often wondered about the Scalescenes - it all seemed a faff printing them out, sticking onto the card etc.

I've printed out the free Low Relief Warehouse and was going to give it a go.

I look forward to seeing them all in situ and keep the updates coming.

Cheers

Phil

Just looking at them now, I realised that I've printed it out double sided - doh

lol laugh.gif Strangely I did exactly the same thing yesterday. I might experiment with the low relief warehouse and try the idea of printing onto A4 labels before sticking onto the Finnboard. No glue needed then, so it should be a quick build.

I have no idea where I am going to put the warehouse when it's finished, but its good practice anyway.

Dave

Hi Rammy, sound like you have had a busy month without going into the loft! THe depot build looks very nice, its the first one I have seen built. But more impressive is the Inspection pits. I cant believe how straight and unwarped they look!!

I like the idea of yellow LEDS. I used white ones and they look too blue, although I have just bought some 'warm white' ones for future messing about.

If I was going to put lights in my next layout inspection pits I think I would also drill the holes but sit/glue the lights behind so they dont protrude, on mine at the mo i think they look to obtrusive. One question, Is Finn board expensive?

Oh and nice job on the control panel. I wish I had had a good look at yours before I did mine as I would defo have gone for the bi colour led indicators. Well done. Innit great just messing about with all aspects of this hobby (I love messing about electronics stuff). Its not just about running trains!!

Guy

But more impressive is the Inspection pits. I cant believe how straight and unwarped they look!!

One question, Is Finn board expensive?

I think it is the Finnboard that has made these so straight and unwarped. Its great to work with. If it does start to warp, you simply ease it back by slightly bending back the opposite way and, unlike standard card, it stays there! I got mine from 4D Modelshop . I originally emailed them and they sent me a small sample of the 0.9mm and 2mm which convinced me it was the right thing to use. It was just over £2 for the 0.9mm and £4 for the 2mm - these are 700mm x 1000mm sheets!

If I was going to put lights in my next layout inspection pits I think I would also drill the holes but sit/glue the lights behind so they dont protrude, on mine at the mo i think they look to obtrusive.

The Scalescenes pits allow for rear mounting of an LED strip which shines through the "lights" in the side walls which are actually tracing paper. The kit is a free download off the Scalescenes website, so I would definately recommend giving it a go even if you don't need it yet. I will try and post some pics of the LEDs once I get them done.

Dave

Been having a play with some LEDs tonight to see if I could make a lighting strip for the inspection pits. Electronics is not my expertise, but I am quite pleased with the result for hardly any cost.

DSCF3982.jpg

DSCF3984.jpg

DSCF3991.jpg

DSCF3989.jpg

Just need to make 3 more now and hopefully make them a little neater!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

As I said, I wanted to neaten up the LEDs for the inspection pits. After spending a little time thinking about how I would install the pits I realised that the sticking out LEDS were going to make installation very awkward. Therefore I have implemented plan B. I purchased some 1206 size SMD LEDs (only 9p each) and had a work colleague solder these onto vero board. This has resulted in a much better fit and still good light.

DSCF4030.jpg

DSCF4029.jpg

DSCF4026.jpg

Now I really need to crack on and get these installed on the layout!

Dave

Guy

I bought mine from CPC for about 9p each. At work I buy regularly from CPC so can cover the minimum order value and don't have to pay a handling fee.

RS stock quite a range of yellow one (see here) but only one suitable white one I can see (see here). At least RS don't have a minimum order value.

Can't tell I'm a Purchasing Manager can you! lol

I assume you will want white for the fuelling point? I think I may have a go at that too when my brother has finished painting my Knightwing fuelling point.

Dave

Welcome in the loft anytime bro! Bring your camera too as I'm sure you will take some better photos.

On my brothers workbench (hopefully) at the moment is a Knightwing Fuelling depot, 2 x Knightwing forklifts, 3 x young lady passengers for Chadwood station. I don't attempt the painting as that is his expertise! Looking forward to them coming back to my house fully painted!

On my workbench are the scalescenes pits and lighting (seen above), additional lighting being fitted to the old Hornby 57, and I have just started a scalescenes tunnel portal (photos to follow as it takes shape (and if I make a good job of it!)

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

My brother (englishman) has kindly finished the painting for me and returned the fuelling point and forklift trucks. I managed to get a couple of hours in the loft today to try them out. Also, as it was my birthday last week, I have a new addition to the Chadwood fleet. 08585 in Freightliner livery has joined the rest of the Freightliner fleet. I still need to wire a decoder in but I have tried it out and it runs great. Looks rather clean though so may need weathering at some point, but not sure I'm up to that yet! A bit more trackwork has been laid around the depot and in the sidings. Also spent a while fixing a problematic curve before the station which was causing lots of problems. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a few more hours in the loft this weekend to finally get some more point motors wired in.

Enough talking, here's some photos:

The painted fuelling point

Derby-20110427-00134.jpg

Painted forklifts:

Derby-20110427-00136.jpg

The new addition:

Derby-20110427-00135.jpg

The Freightliner fleet:

Derby-20110427-00132.jpg

I also had some money for my birthday, which I intend spending on the railway somehow. I stocked up today with some extra flexi track, but can't decide what to do with the rest. I am VERY tempted to splash out on a sound decoder for one of the 66's but can't be sure which one to buy. I am also nervous that it needs to work with my Hornby Select. Any advice appreciated. The other option is to buy the Vitrains Network Rail 97302 & 97304 twin pack which looks rather nice.

Dave

Nice pics Bro.

Those Freightliners look like they could use a little weathering (hint!).

PS - The women figures are nearly painted.

PPS - Do you know anyone with some battered N Gauge stuff? My modern wargames table needs some damaged track, buildings and rolling stock. Seems daft to build stuff as 'battle damaged' when there must be properly damaged stuff out there!

Archived