Chadwood

Rammy

Looking very good Dave, looking forward to the next update.

I really do like the freight liner livery and may be tempted to get one, one day.

The inspection pits look the best ive seen, well done.

All the best and looking forward to seeing more

Leon

Hi Dave,what fuel depot kit are you using on your layout?? cheers class66.......:D

They are the Knightwing fuelling point. I know they are seen on lots on layouts nowadays but I still think they look great.

I really do like the freight liner livery and may be tempted to get one, one day.

The inspection pits look the best ive seen, well done.

Leon

I have always liked the Freightliner livery rather than the EWS option, even though I suppose it doesn't really fit in with my East Midlands theme.

Thanks for the compliment on the inspection pits. I was really please how they finished up, especially with the LED lighting. Not got round to fitting them on the layout yet though.

Thank you both for your interest and comments.

Dave

They are the Knightwing fuelling point. I know they are seen on lots on layouts nowadays but I still think they look great.

I have always liked the Freightliner livery rather than the EWS option, even though I suppose it doesn't really fit in with my East Midlands theme.

Thanks for the compliment on the inspection pits. I was really please how they finished up, especially with the LED lighting. Not got round to fitting them on the layout yet though.

Thank you both for your interest and comments.

Dave

Cheers dave!! wil be buying two of these for my layout now!! they look great......

A new arrival at Chadwood tonight. A Hornby 153 in East Midlands Trains livery has been bought with some birthday money from my family.

Still enough left for a sound decoder though if could decide which one to buy!

Here is a brief video of it's arrival at Chadwood station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Th68zPE-Mg

Hi Dave

Great video, and lots of progress on the layout I see. I'm thinking of going down the sound route too, once I've finished the ballasting, the point motors, the bridge, the lighting, the harbour ......... Oh and the fact I'm 2000 miles away isn't helping me progress things.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

You seem to have a really nice project under way, just out of interest what is the size of your layout and how on earth do you stand the heat up in the loft!?

Kind Regards,

Nick.

Hi Dave,

You seem to have a really nice project under way, just out of interest what is the size of your layout and how on earth do you stand the heat up in the loft!?

Kind Regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick

The layout is about 2.8m x 2.8m overall with boards approx 600mm wide.

The loft does tend to get both extremes - cold in the winter and hot in the summer, but I seem to be able to cope ok just using a small heater and a large fan. Ideally I would eventually like to put a roof window in too to let a little fresh air and natural light in, but I really should have done that before starting the layout.

I am currently also considering starting a 2nd smaller exhibition style layout in the shed, so that on nice days I could work in their or even take it out onto the decking. I may start a seperate thread about that soon. Watch this space!

Thanks for your interest

Dave

I seem to spend more time buying & playing with stock rather than building the layout at the moment!

Tonight has been spent modifying my standard blue Dapol Track Cleaner into a nice new Network Rail liveried version, courtesy of some vinyls from Electra Railway Graphics:

BEFORE:

Derby-20110506-00154-1.jpg

AFTER:

Derby-20110506-00156.jpg

Derby-20110506-00155.jpg

Derby-20110506-00157.jpg

I am very pleased with the results. Well worth a tenner. Just need a pair of Network Rail 37's to run it round now!rolleyes.gif

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for posting those, Dave. Always great to see the finished result.

I had a lot of fun doing liveries for the Track Cleaner and can offer just about any livery you like, BR Blue, RTC Blue / Red, Dutch, Loadhaul, Two-Tone Green (with headcode discs!)...yes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

laugh1.gif

Sorry to disappoint you guys, buy I came back fairly empty handed. I actually only spent a tenner, and that was on some modelscene hoardings and 2 more packs of kadees. I went with a pocket full of money too, hoping to either buy a sound decoder for a 66 or the 153, or to maybe even buy a new loco. No 66 or 153 decoders to be seen anywhere (DC Kits had others available) and the class 70's I saw were well overpriced (compared to 70003 currently only £69.50 at Rails of Sheffield).

So now I will have to be content with a little internet shopping to spend my money. Really thinking that the class 70 will be the better use of the money as this will come in useful if I get my 2nd layout off the ground (see here)

Also, I have ordered a Knightwing fuel tanks kit to sit in the depot area so that should keep me busy for a while.

Thanks for the interest

Dave

Managed to grab a couple of hours in the loft today. Not a great deal worth photographing as it was fixing one of the point motor wiring (solder connection came loose causing no response from the control panel) and then spent ages working out how to cut a hole for the inspection pits to drop in. As usual not all went to plan as I have only just realised the depot building is directly above one of the supports! Why did I not spot that earlier? Anyway, thankfully the inspection pit is exactly the same thickness as my baseboards, so although it took a bit of fiddling around to cut it out, I did so without cutting through the support.

At least I will know how to do the second one now. Here is a pic of the first one fitted & wired in:

IMG-20110522-00185.jpg

Two minor additions to the layout, a couple of white vans. One looks like it needs a wash as some joker has written "also in white" on the back! lol

IMG-20110522-00190.jpg

I've bought the wood to construct the baseboards for my second layout First Avenue this weekend, so may be spending even less time on Chadwood in the near future although I do intend to carry on building whenever possible. Indeed I have the Knightwing fuel tanks to build for Chadwood already!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last few nights making up the first of the backscenes for Chadwood, to finally hide the loft from view. After seeing Leon's impressive Gaugemaster backscenes on South Wales Freight I decided to follow suit and ordered the Industrial backscene for behind the depot area and the Countryside backscene for the station side. (both from Model Railways Direct for £6.25 each)

After much deliberating I decided to stick the scenes onto the mdf backboards with 3M double sided tape. It was rather fiddly to say the least, but I am quite pleased with the result. Obviously once I have ballasted, the backscenes will be blended in a little with some bushes just in front in a few places.

What do you think?

DSCF4368.jpg

DSCF4363.jpg

Whilst I was admiring the scenery, 66405 popped into the shed for a quick check over.

DSCF4371.jpg

Dave

Hi Dave

It's looking really good, and amazing how much difference it makes.

All you now need to do is ballast, which as you know from my experience is quite a big initial step, but once you've got over the fear of covering your cherished layout with loads of glue, it again takes it to another level.

Cheers

Phil

Hey Dave.

Great model. Regarding the lights for the inspection pits, Black Cat Technology produce a kit (sort of) designed specifically for the Scalescenes pits. It includes two strips of circuit board; each with six LEDs, a current limiter and some lengths of wire.

Looking forward to see how this develops.

Matt.

Hey Dave.

Great model. Regarding the lights for the inspection pits, Black Cat Technology produce a kit (sort of) designed specifically for the Scalescenes pits. It includes two strips of circuit board; each with six LEDs, a current limiter and some lengths of wire.

Looking forward to see how this develops.

Matt.

Matt

I did look at the Black Cat kit but I thought they were a bit expensive for what they were. Mine were very cheap, only a small piece of veroboard and some SMD LEDs.

Looking fantastic Dave. That is a cracking backscene. Loving the Freightliner locos too!

Thanks Chris. I will be trying the country backscene shortly and hope that comes out as good.

Archived