RMweb

Craftsman Class 02 Shunter Kit

Hi

I wondered if anyone had made one of these and could give me some advice. It was recommended to me as a first kit and whilst it's not been as straightforward as I thought, I've taken it slowly and I'm quite pleased with the result.

I do have a problem fastening the motor (a mashima 1024) to the motor mounting plate. The instructions say screw it to the plate but the mounting holes are at the end of the motor and I'm not sure that I can tap a small hole in to the side of the motor housing. I tried high stick double sided tape which worked quite well and allowed me to run it...until tthe heat had the expected effect. I'm thinking of getting a High Level humpshunter gearbox which will keep the motor low and allow me to angle it up towards the front of the loco. The gear box is widenough for me to solder it to the chassis sides but I'm still not convinced I have the room.

I wondered if anyone else had been down this route or found success some other way?

Any input gratefully received.

JIm

I suspect that the mouthing plate is designed for something like a DS10. Some motors of a similar age do/did have a tapped hole for this sort of purpose. If the motor is running hot enough to cook the tape, I wonder if the gears you have in there aren't working against the motor? Personally, I'd go for the HighLevel solution as I like low-geared shunters and have the gearbox you suggest in a couple of kit-built shunters which function very well.

Adam

As Adam points out the 02 kit was designed for the DS10 motor, you wouldn't have wanted one even if you could have found one. I too would suggest a highlevel gearbox, make sure you check out all of their products. I have the kit still to build, one of those little projects for an old layout.

You will not go far wrong with a High Level gear box. There is an excellent set of drawings of all Chris's boxes at http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/ - click on "Gearboxes" then near the bottom of the text "Gearbox planner". This should enable you to check whether your proposed gearbox/motor combination will fit. If in difficulty give Chris a phone call - he is always very helpful.

With 108:1 reduction you should end up with a lovely slow-running shunter. Good luck!

Ian

Thanks for the information guys. Seems I'm thinking along the right lines. I had a neat little 50:1 Branchlines compact gearbox with the original set up, which fitted a treat but it did kick out a lot of heat. I had gone as far as buying a loadhauler compact for the chassis with a 108:1 gear but having put it together it's too big, or it will be if I want to use a flywheel.

I just tried cutting out the pattern for the humpshunter gearbox plus motor and it looks like it will give me the clearance I need, so I'll go back to Highlevel and get the alternative etching.

Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know how I get on.

Jim

Archived