A "SOO" trackage question.

baldeagle

OK Martyn, thanks, I'll stop at that for the time being, and concentrate on painting my baseboards this afternoon.

It's trying to rain in my part of Staffordshire at the moment, so an afternoon in the workshop is an attractive idea.

John

Re the Soo 1401; the link I posted earlier shows that this was a Minneapolis Northfield & Southern loco when first built; the Soo acquired it upon takeover of the MN&S in 1982; it may not have been repainted immediately, so if we take into account what Martyn posted - "That site reckons the #6465 left BN's employ in Feb 1984" then you are in fact looking at a very narrow time frame for when the Soo 1401 and BN 6465 might have been seen together; i.e. one year - 1983!! Maybe Rule #1 should be invoked at this point ("It's my Train Set..." etc)

I agree with Martyn about not getting a CP Rail loco; the line through Portal was the Soo's own Main. At one time locos were exchanged at Portal (there were two seperate Depots either side of the spectacularly mundane "International Border" road) but by the time we're looking at the Soo ran it's own power straight through into Saskatchewen as a matter of routine. It would therefore be Soo power bringing in traffic to your Interchange rather than CP Rail's. A Soo SD40-2 would be a good choice for this.... :)

Ooops, hadn't realised the SW1500 was from the MN&S - yep that tightens things up a bit! :scratchhead:

Future-dating the SD45 to a CNW one might get you an extra couple of years (although at the risk of making what you're doing even more specific!!?)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8226029@N06/2741591950/in/photostream

Or as Jordan says, not to get too worked up over a specific number - from the BN photo archive data BN's SD45s look to have left the railroad in small groups between 1982 and the spring of 1987 for instance, so there were still BN SD45s running around that looked just like the one you have for a few more years...

IMTS (It's My Train Set) can always be applied! ;)

#1400 isn't going - just the layout!

Dave

Yeah - be funny if it was seen interchanging with itself in a later livery....!!! :D

An alternative for the BN SD45s is to model one of the two Ex-BN ones the Soo Line itself had for a while in 1989:-

Numbers 6491 and 6492 which the Soo thoughtfully re-painted in their famous no-expense-met "Bandit" scheme... Flat Black Paint, anyone..?? ;)

Thanks for all the replies to my original question - I never knew when I wrote it, that it would generate 31 replies!

Whilst all that has been going on, I've been pressing ahead, and I've now arrived at the point where I'm ready to lay my first piece of "Peco Code 83".

To match up with other "Freemo" modules, it will have a road bed, constructed of one eighth Balsa wood,

And now, some more questions...

Is it usual to lay the track direct on the baseboard, hooking it together with joiners, but not making any electrical connections, and then lift it all, lay the roadbed, and plonk the track back on the top?

Secondly, [i've never laid any track, ever, so I really am a beginner], how far should the Balsa protrude beyond the sleeper ends, and do I provide it with a chamfer, or does the ballast fill the roadbed/baseboard corner, and disguise the top edge of the 'bed?

John

An alternative for the BN SD45s is to model one of the two Ex-BN ones the Soo Line itself had for a while in 1989:-

Numbers 6491 and 6492 which the Soo thoughtfully re-painted in their famous no-expense-met "Bandit" scheme... Flat Black Paint, anyone..?? ;)

Wow, never seen them before - they look less like 'bandit's' and more like the livery should have been black but they missed a bit! ;)

Ref the tracklaying, I suspect the real answer is whatever works for you!

On mine I measured and marked the centre line on the board for the modular main line connection, then by placing the points basically drew the trackplan full-size on the board. I used those lines as centre-lines for gluing down the balsa.

I wasn't too worried about how neat the balsa is, I laid it maybe up to 10mm wider than the track itself and then I cut in a chamfer once it was in, doesn't have to be too neat and the balsa is really easy to cut.

These kinds of things are details the builder can change to taste rather than specified, but having a chamfer made sense to me.

OK Martyn, thank you, I may get a chance to do a bit more tomorrow.

I have to order more turnouts and bluepoint changers, plus I have some wander plugs.sockets on order from "Jabdog", [ less than half the price of Maplins]

I'm working to get all my boards erectable, and connectable, by Christmas, and then it's just a case of putting the scenery on, [can I hear peals of hysterical laughter offstage?]

With 5 or 6 sets of parallel tracks, there probably won't be too much room for mountains and things, so my "scenery" will probably consist of tarmac/grass/scrub, plus a few buildings along the back of the interchange yard - I've got a diner, an office, and a service station.

Oh yes, there's already two police cars in me box of bits, to be more or less permanently parked outside the diner, just to add realism!

John

Archived