The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Any Spotify users out there?

Ron Ron Ron

I've just purchased a Sonos wireless multi-room audio system. Totally amazing kit and no wonder they rave about it in magazines and on internet forums.

One of the features is the built-in ability to connect to a whole array of music streaming services such as Spotify, Napster, Last FM, Deezer, Pandora, Rhapsody, Wolfgang's Vault etc, etc, etc. (bypassing the PC or Mac in the process).

Being in the UK most of these services are not available to me, however a few are, including the very popular Spotify.

Currently I use We7 via my iMac or other household PC's or laptops (n.b. it seems my son also uses We7), although I'm still on the free subscription service (unlimited use but with adverts - except for ad free days).

We7 isn't supported by Sonos (yet?) which is a pain.

So far I've resisted the temptation to subscribe to Spotify because of how it runs as a Peer-to-Peer (p2p) network and I don't like the idea of my computer becoming a server for other users on the Spotify network, as well as my internet capacity being gobbled up by the uploading of tracks stored on my computer to be sent to other users.

We7, like most streaming services, is just that; simple streaming from the service to your computer (note, other types of services also send to other devices as well e.g. internet radio, internet capable TV, media players etc.).

We7 runs in the browser and there is no software or bespoke media player installed on your computer, other than what's already in there.

On the other hand, Spotify requires the downloading and installation of software on your computer and the setting up of a cache for the storage of music that may be accessed by other users. Again, I don't like the idea of that !

The music libraries of all these streaming services are growing all the time and it's quite remarkable at the depth of content, however Spotify seems to be out in front in terms of the amount of albums and tracks available. Ordinarily, We7 has most of what I search for, even if Spotify has more choice; and I'd leave it at that. However having got the Sonos system I'm quite tempted to try Spotify, although that invovles a Premium Service subscription of £10 a month !!

I just don't like the idea of my computers being enrolled into some p2p network, with the Spotify application running in the background, even when I'm not using that service.

Plus, I'm not sure what impact it will have on other internet use, such as streaming video (BBC iPlayer etc, ), VOIP phone calls, internet radio streams etc?

Are my fears unfounded?

I've been using it for ages, and I must admit I hadn't realised that it works on a P2P basis. I haven't noticed any problems with it impacting other internet use, but why would you want to watch a streaming video and play music at the same time?

I think it's great, and for the cost of a CD a month (I've no need of the premium subscription) I get unlimited access to a vast range of music. You may as well give it a go, I'm fairly sure that you can cancel your subscription at any time.

You can run it for free for a trial period. It's been on and off my machine once with no ill effects noted. It has also pointed me toward albums that I then went on to purchase online. Good for digging up obscure remixes of track as well.

I too, had not heard that it ran on a P2P basis. Interesting.

I must admit I thought Spotify wasn't P2P. It's business model certainly doesn't suggest it. As I am fairly certain advertisers would be dead set against using anything that works on P2P.

I must admit that I do use the 'Premium" service but it comes in very handy for my work and the increased bandwidth that "premium" gets does make it nearly as good as having the CD (but only almost).

Yes there are artists that you can't get, but as far as I am aware thats down to their Label's, Publisher's, rights issues with how much they want from Spotify for access to recordings.

If there is one thing that I do miss with the whole streaming thing, is not being able to access sleeve notes. That said it is quite nice to have a song or tune pop in to my mind and be able to pretty much listen to it within a few key strokes.

Thanks for the replies.

I've been using it for ages, and I must admit I hadn't realised that it works on a P2P basis.

I too, had not heard that it ran on a P2P basis. Interesting.

You're probably not the only ones who've used it and didn't realise, judging from similar comments elsewhere on the web.

Spotify no longer openly mention this anywhere on their web site, unless you delve into the small print, buried away somewhere on the site.

Apparently, in use, less than 10% of all music playback comes from the Spotify servers; 35% comes from other users via P2P and 55% from the users own cache of previously streamed and now stored music.

I haven't noticed any problems with it impacting other internet use, but why would you want to watch a streaming video and play music at the same time?

If you look back at my OP, you'll see I mentioned that Spotify runs in the background even when you close the Spotify app down.

You may be watching a streamed video, completely unaware that a request comes in and your computer starts streaming content out onto the P2P network to someone who has selected that track . It may not be apparent that you are streaming music out, at the same time that you're streaming video (or anything else) in.

As for knowingly watching video and playing music at the same time, that's a separate issue but this already happens in our household on a daily basis. My son may be on-line gaming or sometimes watching Sky on-demand (video streaming) on his XBox 360; or he'll be streaming internet radio or We7 and/or my daughter will be watching BBC iPlayer (video streaming), SWMBO or myself may be online on the Mac or a Windows laptop, whilst one of the Pure Internet radios is playing away in the kitchen.

Streaming video and music at the same time would certainly happen if I had Spotify, as it does now with We7 and internet radio. We need faster internet desperately!!!!! :wacko:

It has also pointed me toward albums that I then went on to purchase online.

Just the same as We7, which we currently use. The only difference is that We7 is pure streaming and doesn't turn your computer into a Spotify server for others to access.

I find the whole idea brilliant. With We7 I can listen to any number of tracks, whole albums and personalised radio stations, an unlimited number of times, absolutely free (or advert free for a monthly subscription of £5), without having to buy any CD's or downloads.

(I have actually gone and ordered a few CD's after listening to some music this way though, but largely there's no need to purchase music at all unless you specifically want "hard copy", which is normally of a higher resolution anyway).

Unfortunately I can't send We7 around the house on my Sonos. Hence my considering Spotify.

Just done some reading up on this and then opted to remove Spotify from my machine.

This is what I was reading - it begins quite well but people get less and less happy as it goes on... Spotify P2P?

Other opinions are available.

Coincidentally, I read that page just the other day.

If you're interested in exactly how it works, you might be interested in this.....

http://pansentient.com/2011/04/spotify-technology-some-stats-and-how-spotify-works/

This is why I'm being a little hesitant.

Not sure how it utilises P2P if you're streaming to an internet radio / streamer though

Any incoming stream is more than likely coming from the P2P network, unless nobody in your network has that track, or the user(s) with that track have their computer(s) offline. In which case, the stream will then come directly from the Spotify servers.

Apparently, only a small proportion of music is streamed directly from the Spotify servers; most of it comes from other users on the P2P network.

This is regardless of what you are receiving the stream on.

Naturally, outgoing streams (which you don't control) can only go out from a computer where your Spotify cache resides.

If you are only connected to the Spotify network by a mobile device (iPhone, iPad, Android etc), or a streaming device or system that can work with Spotify (e.g. some of the more recent AV products like AV recievers, or internet enabled Hi-Fi kit), then you can't support the P2P network by providing content from your cache.

However, as soon as you switch on your computer and connect to the internet, Spotify is likely to be calling on it to take part in the P2P network, even though you're blissfully unaware it's happening.

At least, that's how I understand it.

The original Napster, that was shut down, used P2P as part of a totally different business model based on free sharing and exchanging of music. That was declared illegal and stopped.

I don't believe the current incarnation of Napster service uses P2P. It's a straightforward downloading and streaming service AFAIA.

A couple of things put me off Napster, not least the low bit rate streams. they're still using 128k for the streaming service.

Did you know they are owned by Best Buy ?

If you look back at my OP, you'll see I mentioned that Spotify runs in the background even when you close the Spotify app down.

You may be watching a streamed video, completely unaware that a request comes in and your computer starts streaming content out onto the P2P network to someone who has selected that track . It may not be apparent that you are streaming music out, at the same time that you're streaming video (or anything else) in.

As far as I can tell, if you close the player down using the X, the layer window disappears, but the Spotify icon remains in the tray on the right hand side of the taskbar. If you right click this and exit, it closes completely. I've never looked into it closely, but the Spotify application doesn't seem to access the internet after being closed completely.