The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Car advice

The Fatadder

They do? Which ones? I tend to drive at the legal limit - why not? - and White Van Man (or his French alter ego Monsieur Camionette Blanche) always seem to be in my boot!

In the UK a non car derived van has a speed limit of 60 on dual carriageways, for example.

My advice? Buy something that makes you smile when you walk towards it in the morning and doesn't make you want to get out after driving it for 50 minutes. Fuel economy, boot capacity and deprecation and all the usual motoring logic fall by the wayside after the first 6 weeks if you don't love your car and lets face it when you own a car your just never going to win anyway. So if your going to buy one, buy one that makes you smile!!!!!!!!! besides the south of France is a bloody long drive.

Yep, one reason I said buy the Alfa. We bought an X type Jaguar last year. Can't complain about it as a car. Very nice to be a passenger in, looks good, works well, decent boot, comfy, 4wd. Pity it is just no fun at all to drive, and you feel like a passenger when you are driving it.

All the best

Keith

Rich, you mentioned Megan in your opening post.

You may be better off looking for a Scenic, I'm on my second one now and I think they are a good buy.

Loads of space for people and dogs!

I get my layout in with plenty of room to spare there are so many features it's hard to start.

My current Scenic is a 1.9 Diesel automatic on an 11 plate and does over 45mpg urban and over 50mpg on a run

of course if you are going to France then there should be no problems finding parts and some one to fix it!