Sound in the new Dapol HST

hst125

Hi there ,

can anyone help me. I have been modelling in N for 8 years now and wish to move to Sound. I have grasped most things with regards to DCC and chipping/programming my locos, however, there is no readily available info for how i insert sound chips into the loco's such as the farish 108 and my newly purchased HST. I beleive the company i need to deal with is Southwest Digital in order to get the micro speakers, chip etc. Has anyone dne any of this, how easy is it to do, what sort of cost and more importantly can i fet a paxman velenta sound for my HST as it wouls really revive a childhood memory and more so wouls help me get one back with the double O fraternity at my club in yeovil.

Please Help , any info would be of use. I know this technology exists but there is no knowledge of it.

Paul

Not to decry SWD but they are not the only supplier. As to the original sound file, you will need to ask the supplier although small differences in sound are lost in small speakers.

You might also have a look at YooChoos website ( of this parish as well ) to see whether the CT decoder has this sound as it is quite a bit smaller.

At the moment ESU suppliers are all converting their sound projects to encompass the new V4 decoder. You could still buy the sounds available in a V3.5 project loaded into a V4 decoder but word is filtering down that this can change the way the sounds are played and defeat the work that has gone into making the decoder sound the way it does.

I don't know about Zimo but a look on the Digitrains site or a PM to pauliebanger on here might point you in the right direction.

Hi

If you look under Dapol, the HST topic you will find one of their pre production models fitted with sound. HST sounds are available for the 4.0 from a number of suppliers, I have being using 4.0 HST sounds for a couple of months now from Leggomanbiffo who you will find on youtube. If you want a screaming Paxman look no further than Leggomanbiffo. I have purchased 15 plus lok 4.0 off him in the last couple of months and I will order another 10 or so again next month so I do consider his sound files to be the best when it comes to diesels.

See RM topic for Dapol HST sound on page 3 plus you can search youtube.

http://www.rmweb.co....st/page__st__50

I believe their will be a 3 or 4 HST sets with sound at the N gauge show next month on the Dapol stand plus other displays. Also one may be there with 16 fully independent lighting functions and duel sound decoders.

CT sound decoders would be a far easier fit but as to sound quality and running you will need to decide that. Its dated technology compared to lok 4.0 and Zimo but it has the big advantage of being small and cheap.

Best of luck.

Martin

N gauge 108. Nearest to a "sound ready" loco in UK N gauge, it even includes a speaker mount. Take the body off the motor unit. Inside (or in the box of spare parts in the 108) is a small round thing made of two pieces of plastic which fits in the chassis behind the motor block and just before the corridor connection. That's meant to be the housing for a 13mm dia speaker (though improves no end if it is changed so that the rear of the speaker cabinet is a closed enclosure). Sound chip lays in top of loco, on a 6-pin harness into socket provided. Several makers offer suitable chips - ESU, Zimo, CT. Recording quality will vary by sound supplier.

The 108 will also need a non-sound decoder in the trailer car to work the lights, the cheap Bachmann 6-pin chip may be the lowest cost option for this.

More complex installs are possible, which ought to give better results, but depends how much hacking/work you are prepared to undertake.

HST. Probably a less provision from the maker than the 108, but should be fairly simple.

CT no longer offer a significant size advantage over ESU or Zimo in sound chips. Zimo now produce the smallest boxed speakers, though these should work with any decoder requiring an 8-ohm load.

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

There's plenty of space in the Dapol HST for a sound decoder & speaker. The fuel tanks on both the dummy and power cars are hollow and can be filled with a suitable speaker (the space available is 25x13x6mm).

There's plenty of room in the dummy car for a larger speaker or decoder - the chassis is made of plastic and has a big space where a motor would normally be mounted. Space is a bight tighter in the motorised power car but the guards area is mostly empty so finding space for the decoder shouldn't be a problem.

ESU LokSound decoders are available from a number of places. Coastal DCC are amongst the least expensive places to get them (about £96).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived