Moving Along: Halwill Signal Box

Progress was made over the last few evenings with the Halwill Signal Box for OldDudders.

I have finished the shell and the framing, installed the subfloor (to add strength in the middle of the structure) and temporarily fitted the ground floor doors (which in themselves need further work).

post-123-0-86243200-1314889811.jpg post-123-0-37376800-1314889835.jpg

You will note the huge "picture windows" - the idea is to cut one suitably sized piece of clear plastic for each entire window and then add framing in either plastic strip or self adhesive labels cut to size - this should be neater than cutting individual windows and the single piece of thickish clear plastic (I'm thinking CD Case here) will add strength to the model. The planking on top of the window frames appear uneven - but this is due to some minor uneveness in the planking itself and - until I have fitted the interior - the top planking at the front is unbraced. When the interior is in, the front is braced and the roof on, it'll look OK

post-123-0-20247000-1314889954.jpg post-123-0-47792500-1314889979.jpg

The model looks a bit askew due to the limitations of my camera and the angle of photography. In real life it's pretty much a good, square box with minimal variation between sides

Next steps will be either to build the veranda and the pimple on the back or paint and detail the interior (following the excellent advice of the Stationmaster, Olddudders and others on the Chagford Road Signal Box thread [this I will get it right first time!])... not sure yet

F

I forget to mention that whilst the Wills Planking was a major discomforture in the gluteus maximus to work with (for many reasons), there was also the complication that there wasn't enough Wills planked sheet in the pack for all 4 walls and the veranda and the "pimple" (a loo) on the back. As Olddudders said he would be using the model in 3/4 relief, I cut a piece of white plasticard to size and grooved it with a Tamiya scrawker to match up with the Wills planking - so if glimpsed the rear will not stand out so obviously.

Funnily enough, I do like the patterns/surfaces/relief on most of the Wills embossed sheets - but if they onlywould make the sheets bigger and thinner the Wills sheets would be so much more useful (at least for me)...

F

Archived