RMweb

Bachmann or Mainline 22xx and 43xx

• RMweb Gold

Very quick question,

Having trawled the next I am getting mixed answers to this question.

Is there any difference regarding the body and tender between the original Mainline releases and the most recent Bachmann ones for the Collett Goods and 43xx?

Given that I am planning to re chassis both locos I don't care what improvements they have made with the chassis, but want to ensure that I am starting from the best possible point regarding accuracy with the bodies. Similarly I am not worried about the better standard of printing that I assume the Bachmann release would have (given such a simple livery with no lining is required respraying is not an issue)

With scaleforum around the corner I'm hoping to come away with a couple of useful projects to work on rebuilding over the next year, so I am trying to work out if the mainline releases will be suitable.

Thanks

The 43xx is essentially the same moulding, although some Bachmann releases feature the Collett Cab. The 22xx seems to be a point of contention but it is a new moulding - think the full story appeared on MREmag at some point. Having said that, the Mainline version of the 22xx isn't too bad dimensionally, just the detail is relatively crude.

Mike

You may as well go for the Mainline loco body on the 43xx (no opinion about the tender) as both it and the Bachmann body need rebuilding at the front end. The front quadrant drop is way too shallow, presumably to provide good clearance of the front platform above OO flanges. I have also sometimes had the thought that the boiler centreline may be pitched a little high too, this because the smokebox appears to me to sit a little high over the footplating; needs a reliable drawing to sort out.

Not relevant to your project, but I do hope this gets sorted out when Bachmann retool this one for a wiper pick up chassis: one of Mr Churchward's most handsome designs.

Bodies are all much the same, the more important point will probably be the wheels..

For your project i'd suggest a wheelswap pannier to start, they run really nicely and get you off the ground. Then either High level chassis another one or go for the Collett Goods chassis first, even a Dean Goods if one was still running.

I can't remember if the High Level Goods chassis comes with the bottom of the boiler so that is something to look out for on the donor.. I haven't looked too closely at them as I have a Finney in the to do list :? .

Talking of tenders, you might want to look out for a Hornby one off a Grange, I think they do a 3500g of the right sort though someone can correct me if they are different..

• RMweb Gold

The high level collett chassis does include the missing boiler section thankfully, so thats on thing ticked.

The problem at the moment with going for a pannier is that I cant find any record of them on the line prior to the mid 50s. For initial track testing prior to getting anything appropriate up and running I guess my Hornby 08s would suffice...

With the other more long term stuff (such as the 43xx at the moment its more a case of getting a clear picture as to what exactly needs to be purchased, so that I can get some alerts set up on ebay to advise me when something interesting appears. Want to make sure I catch things like cheap non runners etc (not to mention the hope of the bring & buy at scaleforum!) the Dean goods is of use, and is somewhere towards the top of my to do list.

Will add the grange tender to my alerts list...

I was under the impression the done thing with steam modelling was to buy projects to age for a couple of years prior to starting it :P

I tend to only buy stuff for the cupboard now if its quite new and due a price rise, buying a 43xx and sticking it in the cupboard is just asking for it to be revamped.. Probably better off with a bring and buy/ swapmeet than eBay these days as people seem to overbid for any old tat on the latter of late.

If you want GWR era then get the older releases from Airfix/Mainline as they used this process that gave a deep finish to the paint job that is quite realistic and worth keeping if you can.

Hopefully you can find some cheap Ultrascales on the b'n'b anyway to help you get started.

Archived