Lenz XPA setup or fault finding

mjkerr

My large setup is based around a Lenz Set 100 : LZV100 and LH100

Received my Lenz XPA some time ago

Connected it to the LA152 interface, which already works with the existing LH100 handset

The handset has address 01

Connected my DECT phone to the XPA

Noticed on handset active, there is no tone (as listed in the manual)

Followed the instructions, to set the address as 02

However, there is no tone

There is no response from the system

As an example sending :

#7306* then 9

Swapping the LH100 to 7306 and this allows me to control this train

Can the same address be loaded in both handsets, or does the 7306 need to be removed?

The manual does not have any details for fault finding

Any ideas?

For those that own the XPA, what do you hear when you listen to the phone, simply with the handset active?

Hi,

Sorry I cant be of help to you with your question, but being a similar lenz user, I would love to know more about this subject, who in the uk supplies the xpa unit, and how much are the units.

Thanks..............Bob.

I had one of those, it worked sometimes. I gave up in the end.

I can't even get a response from it

4 hours in and nothing

However, I have had a busy tone a few times but I suspect that was the actual phone response, as I have two DECT phones and the other does not give a busy tone at any time

My large setup is based around a Lenz Set 100 : LZV100 and LH100

Received my Lenz XPA some time ago

Connected it to the LA152 interface, which already works with the existing LH100 handset

The handset has address 01

Connected my DECT phone to the XPA

Noticed on handset active, there is no tone (as listed in the manual)

Followed the instructions, to set the address as 02

However, there is no tone

There is no response from the system

As an example sending :

#7306* then 9

Swapping the LH100 to 7306 and this allows me to control this train

Can the same address be loaded in both handsets, or does the 7306 need to be removed?

The manual does not have any details for fault finding

Any ideas?

For those that own the XPA, what do you hear when you listen to the phone, simply with the handset active?

Used a XPA for yrs. There is no dial tone when using phone as hand control with Lenz.

I set the address on my XPA to 30. To keep it well away from all other controllers.

Does the phone beep as each button is pressed.? It should..

When you say phone active, I presume you have pressed the call button before entering loco address.

Cheers

Ian

I set the address on my XPA to 30. To keep it well away from all other controllers.

Does the phone beep as each button is pressed.? It should..

When you say phone active, I presume you have pressed the call button before entering loco address.

I have followed the instructions precisely

Firstly I checked the address on which the LH100 handset was assigned on the LZV100 and this was 01

I therefore tried setting the XPA to address 02 and on completion disconnect the phone call (replace handset)

The instructions then advise to set the train address

In this case it was #7306

However there is no response when then attempting 3, 6, 9 for throttle settings

I tried other addresses, but no response

I then tried setting other addresses for the XPA, such as 2, 9, 11, 19, and 21

Again, on entering a train address, no response

The instructions also advise there should be a tone heard from the phone, but there never is one

There is occasionally a busy tone, but I have confirmed that is created by the phone itself

I have now performed three RESETs to default

Apart from the loss of Language and the stack, no difference

Slightly misleading manuals with the Set 100

The handbook for the LH100 handset has details for a RESET, and this is the one I had performed

Looked through the handbook for the LZV100 (v3.0) and there is NO information

I therefore looked at the hanbook for the LZV100 (v3.6) and there are details in there

I have now performed this twice

I noted the AutoReverse breaker reset and many models lost their directional lights (some Dapol models retained their lights)

However still no response from the XPA

I suspect either the LA152 is faulty or the XPA itself

I am therefore going to buy a replacement cable, then hardwire it into the LZV100 through connections LMAB

If this works, then I know the LA152 is faulty

If this does not work, then I know the XPA is faulty

The LA152 currently works with the LH100 in either socket

Finally, if the XPA is faulty is there anywhere I can send it for diagnostics(to confirm it is faulty) / repair or is it simply a case of disposing and replacing it

Equally, could it be the LZV100 itself that does not want to communicate with the XPA?

As I am no further forward trying to work out which component or components are at fault, either the LZV100, LA152 or the XPA

Would anyone in the Glasgow / Edinburgh / Stirling area have a Lenz Set 100 and LA152 which I could test?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a club which uses this equipment?

I would bring my equipment to your premises or the club and then this would help establish which part is at fault

I am also willing to pay for the inconvenience, or a donation to the club

• 4 months later...
Would anyone in the Glasgow / Edinburgh / Stirling area have a Lenz Set 100 and LA152 which I could test?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a club which uses this equipment?

I would bring my equipment to your premises or the club and then this would help establish which part is at fault

I am also willing to pay for the inconvenience, or a donation to the club

I need to repeat this request, this equipment has now sat for four months and the issue is not resolved

I really need to find out if the fault lies with the LZV100, LA152 (although I have since purchased another one and there is no difference) or the XPA

• 6 months later...

I have just had the same problem on one of my XPA's. I rang A&H Models (who are the Lenz distributor for the UK) who say that there is a 10-year guarantee on them, however they are now obsolete. I am sending mine back in hope they have some left.

Have subsequently been advised to use TouchCab with the new Lenz Interface but as only 1 of the crew has an iPhone, i'd like to keep the XPA's to give people the option!

Hello MJKERR, I bought an XPA second hand and could never get it to work, I gave up in the end.

You are welcome to come over and test it on my LZV 100 and several LA 152 sockets. I am based a mile or so from the Kincardine Bridge on the Fife side.

Mike

Archived