RMweb

Phrases that should be banned

AndyB

• RMweb Premium

"Clutter clearing". "life laundry" and any other phrase that implies that keeping anything that you don't use frequently is bad thing. It's an immediate challenge to the average bloke, let alone modellers, and completely the opposite of the "3 Rs ". Conflict over what was and wasn't clutter contributed to the demise of my marriage. Having cleared out loads when we got married, it wasn't pleasant! Now there are books and TV shows vilifying "hoarders".

Pete, with G.O.M hat on.

Walking past a bookshop earlier today I spotted something with the title "Teaching Business English". Now, whilst one reading of that title might give cause for hope, others are alarming. Do they really teach this stuff to people and do you really need a text book to learn how to teach it?

Nick

The 2 phrases that should be banned forever are the "royal ""WE""" and "I'VE JUST HAD A THOUGHT", my wife uses them a lot. The first one "I think WE should decorate", I remove and replace the funiture, remove the old wallpaper, paint strip and repaint, the wife then repapers. When she says "I'VE JUST HAD A THOUGHT", I just cringe with anticipation.

webbo

• RMweb Gold

The 2 phrases that should be banned forever are the "royal ""WE""" and "I'VE JUST HAD A THOUGHT", my wife uses them a lot. The first one "I think WE should decorate", I remove and replace the funiture, remove the old wallpaper, paint strip and repaint, the wife then repapers. When she says "I'VE JUST HAD A THOUGHT", I just cringe with anticipation.

webbo

I just call my daughter in to arbitrate :rolleyes:

Walking past a bookshop earlier today I spotted something with the title "Teaching Business English". Now, whilst one reading of that title might give cause for hope, others are alarming. Do they really teach this stuff to people and do you really need a text book to learn how to teach it?

Nick

There is a case for that. Students needing to learn English for travel, academic needs, engineering, medicine and general business need to use different register and different vocabulary. Teaching English to young children, teenagers and adults needs to be done in different ways.

Guest Natalie Graham

I still worry about "lifetime guarantee".

Especially when you read the small prinnt and find it is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product and not the purchaser. It's guaranteed until it goes wrong.

" Now there are books and TV shows vilifying "hoarders".

Pete,

Yes, but have you seen some of the hoarders? Collecting tools and equipment that "may come in someday" is one thing, but completely filing every spare foot of living space is quite different. To the extent people cannot walk across the floor of their own home. That's proper hoarding.

Geoff

Edited by Ohmisterporter

Bit OT: I found the immigration staff there (well Newark actually) some of the most humourless arrogant people going. Made German immigration seem positively friendly!

Keith

We visited Boston in 2002. As we flew from the UK via Ireland and (as we thought cleared USA Imigration control there) our arrival in Boston was a shock! Basically the third degree because we were staying for two weeks and only had one small suitcase of clothes, and other essentials, each. Is America not the land of the launderette?

Having said that once we got into Boston the folks 'on the street' were extremely friendly and helpful and I would definately go back, apart from the immigration control.

But to get back to the original topic...

Management speak:-

'Having converstions with edge'.

What does that mean?

A certain team manager with the company I used to work with was awarded a special mention for her aptitude in this skill. When I asked 'does that really mean she is a stroppy c*w?' (which she was!) I was 'advised' that I might well be the recipitient of the similar from my own TM if I pursued the question...

Nuf said!

Yes, but have you seen some of the hoarders? Collecting tools and equipment that "may come in someday" is one thing, but completely filing every spare foot of living space is quite different. To the extent people cannot walk across the floor of their own home. That's proper hoarding.

A good friend of mine (now deceased) turned out to be one, but we only found out after he passed away.

post-6879-0-32778200-1315427407_thumb.jpg

It took two days to pick a path through the various boxes, just to take in the enormity of what he had hoarded.

You then have to look at yourself and ask "Why?". Was it a mania for acquiring everything under the sun? An obsession that ran out of control? And, more worryingly, "could I end up like that one day?"

Anyway, this is going OT again.

Let's get back to phrases that should be banned.....

Edited by Horsetan

Re: Australian Intonation, I Agree on that claim 100%, Not everyone over here does it but there is a fair percentage that no longer speak the queens English. "Nah?" as an Intonation suggests that the person is unsure to what should be either a yes or no answer and is a lazy way of undermining the discipline of the questioner as it makes them subservient to the questionee.

The other one that really annoys me is the continual addition of "isn’t it" to the end of every sentence.

Guest Max Stafford

That's more of a local dialect thing though "Awright?" or "Howyedoin'?" are accepted terms of greeting in the greater Glasgow area. Interestingly Glaswegian and Clydeside dialect owes more to Ireland than to Scotland. Once you get a few miles out of the city,past the new towns which were largely populated by Glasgow overspill, accent and intonation changes noticeably .I suspect this may have a lot to do with the big waves of Irish immigration from the mid 19th century on. Twenty five years ago, even rural Lanarkshire had a dialect more akin to 'Auld Scots'. I doubt this is the case now with the changes in society.

Dave.

Just as annoying or maybe more so than innit is issit. Also after living in England for seven years I never could understand the use of Alright or Awright as a greeting in place of Hello.

"Alright" = "How are you?"

The dialogue early in "The Full Monty" that establishes that film's Sheffield authenticity: Gaz and Dave are balanced precariously atop a sinking car in the middle of the canal.

Passer-by (nodding casually): "Alright?"

Gaz: "Aye - Not s' bad"

Edited by bluebottle

I had a close shave with an "innit" wielding trog yesterday (on the Southern @ Clapham). But that anecdote may sit better in the Quiet Zone thread.

Suffice to say I was fortunate to have a rolled up copy of The Times with which to restore order. :locomotive:

• Like 1