Bachmann Grain Wagons?

Nick

Hope this is okay to post here, have heard rumours of Bachmann producing the older style grain wagons. Is this just wishful thinking or based on information that I have missed elsewhere?

Mods - please move if in the wrong area!

Thanks

Simon

I don't know if it is what you are referring to, but Bachmann are going to make some Leith General Warehousing grain wagons for Harburn Hobbies. They will be in mid 60s early 70s livery to go with the Class 17 Claytons. The wagons will be based on the Bachmann salt wagon rather than being an accurate grain wagon unfortunately, but it will be the best you can get RTR if you don't want to build the Parkside kit.

Roddy

Guest Max Stafford

I hope you're right Nick, this is one type I could use in some numbers. Just the thing for GE region modellers to go with their nice new J15s next year too...! ;)

Dave.

PMP - were the kind of wagon I posted a link to ever used in WGC to supply Nabisco? I remember seeing the bogie grain wagons in an old picture, but was curious if you knew of anything else used to supply them?

Cheers!

Nick

Re St Simons post

Bachmann have never made that type of grain wagon with the later chassis, however, Lima did, but I can't recall how good/bad it was in terms of accuracy.

Hi,

I must of been getting mixed up there, sorry!

Simon

- were the kind of wagon I posted a link to ever used in WGC to supply Nabisco? I remember seeing the bogie grain wagons in an old picture, but was curious if you knew of anything else used to supply them?

Cheers!

Nick

The diagram 271 grain wagons were seen at Welwyn Garden City. I recall that in the early 1970's the Nabisco empties could be seen in a northbound train leaving there at about 19.30, I think to Whitemoor. The train had a fitted head of vanfits and then the unfitted grain wagons and a brake van.

• RMweb Premium

Re St Simons post

Bachmann have never made that type of grain wagon with the later chassis, however, Lima did, but I can't recall how good/bad it was in terms of accuracy.

St Simon was spot on with the facts, see here:

http://www.railway-models.co.uk/643_1_1651670.html (give it time for the piccy to load)

I also found one in the same livery as St simons picture link of ebay!

Cheers, Richard

St Simon was spot on with the facts, see here:

http://www.railway-models.co.uk/643_1_1651670.html (give it time for the piccy to load)

It's maybe a fine point to some Richard, but St Simon wasnt 'spot on' at all. The Bachmann (ex-Liliput) model is of the first design of BRT hopper with eight L-section vertical ribs, whereas the Lima model that Paul refers to (and which was illustrated in St Simon's link) is a later build with five flat ribs. There were also various suspension mods carried out after introduction - again Paul is correct in that the Lima model has the pedestal suspension whereas Bachmann represent the original leaf springs (and not to mention livery variations, another can of worms that often confuses the issue). The two designs were generally worked and regarded as one fleet, but it's not accurate to suggest they're the same wagon

Archived