signals for terminus approach

• RMweb Gold

But to be pedantic if the move is a shunt class move then the signal authorising that particular move must be a shunt signal at that moment in time.

That is not strictly true. A running signal would be used to signal a shunt move if the (signal) section of line to which that movement is being made is not occupied. And - far, far more common - is the situation where a shunt move is made and there is no fixed signal of any sort controlling it and the Signalman gives authority either verbally or by hand signal (or both) or a shunt move is made past a running signal at danger and authority to pass that signal is given verbally by the Signalman. Don't forget we are talking about 1960 when this sort of thing was common, indeed even as late as 1975 at one of my 'boxes we were making 40 or more shunt moves a day in one spot where there was no fixed signal for the move.

Equally if its a call on move made from the same signal logically then the signal becomes a call on signal for that particular move. As Mike has said earlier in this topic, call on and shunt arms could very well look the same and by logical extension if provided with some form of indicator, could in fact be the same arm i.e. just as a modern subnsidurary signal can be both a shunt and a call on depending on the destination. That said you are right to point out how my thoughts are based on current practice and the further back you go the less clear things become.

There's an awful lot in a name and class of movement ;)

Absolutely true Mick although I do wonder about the locking of the running signals with the crossing gates - would that have allowed the signal in rear of the platform to be pulled off with the gates open to road traffic (I know that shouldn't be the case, but .........) or was there some 'history' somewhere on the NER of a train and gates unintended interface?

I will look through my collection of NER locking charts and tables and see what I can find, though I doubt if I have a suitable one pre c1937. Mick.

Archived