Howes "generic" Jinty sound

Jim

Hi,

Ive just received a Bachmann jinty with Howes sound fitted. I'm pretty sure the decoder is a loksound v4 micro comparing the cv values to a v3.5 while syncing the chuffs.

What I was wondering was, on the paperwork from Howes, it describes it as "LM/BR Jinty (generic)". What does this mean? Is it a recording of any old twin cylinder steam engine or from a Jinty? I'm a diesel man so I would'nt really know the difference in sound between a GW 57xx pannier and a Jinty-yet! I'm slowly warming to steam with sound, it makes a change from fire-breathing 47s doing hell-fire restarts.

Would re-blowing the Jinty with a Howes pannier be like putting a 47 sound in a 37?

Many thanks,

Jim

Bryan, Howes' sound engineer, calls the sounds 'generic' if he hasn't got a complete set of sounds for the particular project. He uses archive footage and any other sources he can to match sounds as closely as humanly possible.

I have his 'generic' Kestrel sounds fitted to ... you guessed it ... my Heljan Kestrel. As Kestrel no longer exists it was impossible for Bryan to record the "real" sounds but he found a French class of locomotives with the same engines fitted, and combined that with any archive footage he could find to match the sounds as best he could. I don't think I'm giving away any trade secrets here! Bryan is the person who insists that the sounds be listed as 'generic' if they are not 100% genuine recordings from real locomotives.

Interesting. That was a bit of good hunting to find the same engine! By the way, all my locos (diesel and now one steam) have Howes sound. For me Howes works the best for me. The instant drivability and the Jinty is no exception!

Like I said in my original post, I wouldn't have known since I'm not that experienced in steam. Perhaps Howes will do a v4 version of a Jinty in the future?

Jim

I know Bryan is converting all of his existing sound projects to suit v4 but it will take him longer to revamp the projects to take advantage of the extra features available.

I agree with you about the driveability of Howes, sound projects. South West Digital do have some lovely sounds but they aren't driveable in the same way; they tend to force you to drive according to the loco's movement rather than the loco moving according to your driving!

• RMweb Gold

here is a reply from bryan.....

Jim.

You mentioned the Jinty as described as Jinty/ Generic in the Howes paperwork. It does not say this on the Howes website so may need to be modified on the paperwork,   The Jinty chuffs and whistles used on the decoder  are in fact from a Jinty recorded on a preserved railway a couple of years ago for me,  so it is not generic, but the decoder sound could be used as a generic sound for similarly  small LMS locos. that is probably what the paperwork was trying to say, hope that makes things  more clear.  as for the Pannier, there is a noticeable difference in the sounds, the GWR locos had a unique sound which , as far as I know , are not found on any other region, I stand to be corrected of course. The sounds of a Pannier valve spitting every second chuff on a Jinty would  sound alien to someone who knows their engines.  so the answer is yes it would be a bit like having a 47 sound in a  37. If you really want to reblow the Jinty as a Pannier send it to Howes and I will happily reblow it FOC, you will need to pay for return postage though as that is out of my hands. The sound transplant could be our little secret, perhaps, at the risk of the name being misinterpreted you could call it a "Panty",    "Jinnier" doesnt sound right.

Cheers

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha!

Thanks for the reply and offer Bryan. I think I will stay with the Jinty recording, especially as I now know it's been recorded from one. The guilty knowledge would eat into me!

It was explained to me that panniers hava a machanical vaccum exhauster which you can hear while coasting, a tick-tock sound in time with the wheel rotation. So I've learnt something about steam, they are just as different as diesels!

Jim

Archived