Hornby 0-4-0t's

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I've been looking at the 0-4-0 tanks that Hornby produce and Im wondering if any of them are useful as a base for conversion to industrial loco's for a planned small layout.

First of all the King George V 0-4-0t I know is roughly based on a prototype built at Dowlais Works so I could repaint and detail up one of those models.

The GWR 101 0-4-0t, is there a prototype for that loco?

The 'Caley' Pug, again is there a prototype?

Thanks in advance

Guest stuartp

No idea on the KIng George V, sorry, but I believe the GWR loco was based on a 'one off' prototype although how closely it resembled the Hornby one I don't know.

The Caley Pug definitely has a prototype - it's a 264 Class of which the Caley had a couple of dozen. The NBR had some similar which became LNER Class Y9 (I think), both types were based on a standard Nelison industrial design and lasted into the late 50s/early 60s. At least one of the original Neilson tanks was still working in a Scottish coalfield in the 1960s.

I started carving one about a while ago but I haven't done anything to it lately: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/31015-locomotives-for-portwilliam/page__fromsearch__1

As supplied you might find them a bit lively for a shunting layout, slow speed control isn't one of their strongpoints.

Guest 40-something

Thanks Stuart

Your Pug looks like it'll be an interesting loco when finished, I'll need to do some more research in to them. Didnt realise the LNER had a similar loco!

I've actually got a chassis from the pug at home which I have put a decoder in as a test and it runs very very well at a very low speed, on rollers at least!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The GW one is in the Jim Russell loco of GWR books and also the RCTS locos of the GWR. One off basically working Swindon works.

Dowlais built King George V was drawn by TL Jones and published in the late Model Railway Constructor in the 50/60s. If wanted I could produce tighter references for all of this.

There is at least one 040 not yet coverred that is the Hornby Collectors Club item 43209; is there a prototype for this one?

Not to mention Nellie and derivatives which was I believe a simplified LSWR C14 less Walschaerts valve gear.

All are high speed rockets but also good at low speeds with DCC max speed limiting/

Regards

Basil

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is at least one 040 not yet coverred that is the Hornby Collectors Club item 43209; is there a prototype for this one?

Sorry for the very tardy response to this, but that particular model started life in the mid 80s as a cheap 0-4-0 'Thomas' for use in starter sets, so its nearest prototype is the LBSC Class E2.

Archived