Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Nothing to see here either

Guest stuartp

That looks like a lovely little project! A nice prototype too - always thought they'd make interesting subjects for models. :)

Using EM gauge spacers in 00 can be quite sensible; a lot of kit designers seem to really err on the side of caution when it comes to frame widths. And on a loco like this you want zero side play, so it all makes perfect sense to me!

Guest stuartp

Gordon - overall length is now 77mm but I filed a bit off trying to make the incorrect brass footplate fit, and as supplied it comes with a bit of extra length to fit the Hornby cast footplate, the scale length being marked by half-etched lines. So in the region of 84mm.

Wheelbase is a lot less complicated - 28mm to fit 14mm wheels.

James - thanks, that makes me feel a lot less hamfisted. :D

• 1 year later...
Guest Max Stafford

Thanks Stuart. You've made my Wee Ivatt look pretty rubbish now... :P

Lovely job, illustrating how effective relatively small acts of detailing be, with a positive effect out of all proportion to their size!

Looking forward to further developments on the 'Puggy' front too. I'd no idea the Branchlines kit could improve such a basic model so effectively.

Dave.

Guest stuartp

Thanks Stuart. You've made my Wee Ivatt look pretty rubbish now... :P

Somehow I doubt that Dave, but thanks anyway ! If mine looks half as good as yours once I've weathered it I'll be well pleased.

Tonight's top tip (well, last night's):

When using Carr's Metal Black to reduce the effect of paint chips showing on one's newly installed brass footplate furniture, always make sure it's thoroughly dry before setting about with the Chaos Black. It makes the paint coagulate on the brush. :angry:

• 1 month later...
Guest Max Stafford

Stuart, this is one of the most inspirational wee builds I've seen in a long time and I quite fancy having a crack at this one myself.

Need to sort out the EM Jumbo for 'Cully' first though!

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Hey Stuart,

Just a caveat for when your wheels turn up; I've used Scalelink wheels on some NE tanks I'm building at the moment and on Romford axles find they're a bit tight to gauge. I've shimmed them out using a paper disc from a holepunch soaked in cyano. That seems to be about right. There are some pictures on my WB thread if you need a look - work back to the J73 build.

• RMweb Premium

I developed the system of building small diesels in two parts after experience building Craftsman 02 and 07 kits. These are almost impossible to keep straight and flat while soldering cab and casings to the footplate - nearly all the Craftsman 07s I have seen have a pronounced curve from front to back. The idea was to build the cab/casing unit separately so that its lower surface could be checked at all stages of building, this being easily the strongest and stiffest part of a model loco. No point in getting the frames flat and square only to have the body pull it out of shape once bolted up. i used to do this for scratchbuilt locos before I got into kit design. The instructions stress the importance of checking that all flat surfaces are flat at all stages of construction, they also mention that it helps to keep the frames bolted in the footplate at some stages.

I would recommend that you correct the lean back of the cab now but you may have to break the joint between the casing and the cab to do it. The NBL casing doors are not easy to solder on, it's difficult to find a register for them and they aren't easy to solder from the inside, from the look of it a bigger iron might have helped to get the heat into the brass quicker.

I hadn't thougght of using a marker pen to stop the solder flowing - looks as though it has worked quite well.

Michael Edge

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

That's a bonny wee machine! Thanks for posting your images. I'd like to see it at work!

Dave.

Guest stuartp

Now those are useful, especially the cab and under-footplate details. Thanks Andrew.

Progress tonight, the chassis has been de-soldered, cleaned up and re-soldered (it wasn't square) and the rocking rear axle arrangement set up. It doesn't look any different though so no pics !

Excellent clip - good find! Brickie's RADA training helps him almost completely avoid eye contact with the camera during the entire sequence. The sign of a true professional.

Incidentally if anyone needs photos of the underside of the BR brake van, I've got photos from places nobody wants to go...

Guest Max Stafford

A fantastic wee machine which also manages to sound about five times bigger than it really is. You can tell it was made in Glasgow! :sarcastic:

Dave.

A fantastic wee machine which also manages to sound about five times bigger than it really is. You can tell it was made in Glasgow! :sarcastic:

Dave.

And the fact like D2774 (see pic) we took the silencer out and replaced it with some signal post for some raw straight 6 noise :laugh:

post-1776-0-44438600-1340501109.jpg

• 2 months later...

I had a couple of proper Rotring pens which would have been ideal, but one has a fault (blocked probably) and the other got dropped and bent some time ago. There are also at least three Sharpie markers in the house somewhere (Mr Edge's preferred method I believe) but they've all vanished. I suspect Mrs P has spirited them away to the shed for writing on plant labels etc but it was a bit late and dark to go looking.

I have of course built in absolutely no provision to stop the oval buffer heads turning. I have, however, thought up a solution which also solves the problem of how to fit the S&W coupling bar without trying to drill a 0.33mm hole in a lump of brass 2mm thick. Matt varnish tonight with any luck, which should tone it down a bit and at least kill the gloss.

• 1 month later...
Guest Max Stafford

The front steps on this one are a bit weird Stuart. The pony won't swing sufficiently for normal model railway purposes when they're installed. An unfortunate but unavoidable compromise.

Dave.

Archived