Minimum Radius Curves 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium

I'd previously posted this in the wrong space (the blog section). I wonder if anyone has any ideas on this. I've a twelve by twelve space and was going to go for a simple circle at about 11 foot diameter (5 1/2 ft radius). I want to avoid that 20 pence piece look of long length trains going around smaller set track curves. What's the smallest you can go to avoid this?

Use flexi-track to construct your curves. That way you get to create a curve that is more fitting for your layout and then as you say "loose the 20p look".

it takes a little more time and patience to lay than just dropping set track down but does create a much better look.

You can never have gentle enough curves if realism is key - especially running passenger trains - I'm guessing we're talking OO? Many of us think that 3ft radius is gentle in 4mm/EM/OO/P4, but in fact it's quite similar to the tightest curve that was used to be on the Weymouth Tramway before it was eased in the 1930's. Passenger stock needed replacement couplings and the corridor connections disconnecting to get around. Super elevation (tilt into the curve) might help the look. I see many layouts, and often think that the curves could look slightly better with some elevation as seen on the real thing - only on the main running lines of course, not sidings.

And to echo the previous post - flexi-track. with a gentle transition into the curve :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Agree with the wisdom above. Use flexi track, ease into and out of curves rather than lurching from straight into a tight curve and back again, and cant (super-elevate) the track on the main line. I do that by inserting shims of plasticard under the sleeper ends on the outside of the curve and letting the natural "give" of Streamline flexi create a smooth curve and cant deficiency.

Is part of the circuit a 'viewing' side and part a fiddle yard? If you go with this approach you can have even better transition curves templated on the scenic side and slightly tighter curves on the other. Plotting a transition curve is key to making the curves look even better I think.

Archived