The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Name the location

JZ

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing the steam on the right in from a power station.

How many places on the former GWR handled grain (I think that's what the wagons are) 68-73 ish....?

Sorry, just thinking out loud.....

A real single line, too, not a singled route. Grain makes me think of Wallingford, probably wrongly!

A real single line, too, not a singled route. Grain makes me think of Wallingford, probably wrongly!

Correct...... well its Cholsey but is a pic of Wallingford branch, ABM can be seen in background above trees. Smoke is not from Didcot as wrong direction, farmers were aloud to burn fields in those days!!

I think I might have preferred to take my chances with the Hungarian dog!

Incidentally, going back to Brigg, the platforms look quite low, like the surface "tube" lines, but without the juice rails - is that actually the case, or are they normal height?

I'm not sure about Brigg specifically, but quite a few stations in the area did have pretty low platforms compared to standard; some have been sorted, but some are still a bit of a step. I can recall Cleethorpes station, maybe 20 years ago, having a good stock of wooden steps, about a foot high, to help people get on and off trains.

• RMweb Gold

Last time I looked, Tobridge was west of Maidstone :O

Nick

I always get confused on that part of the Southern - something to do with spending years on a railway where London was east of just about everywhere else, hence I have this notion about going east towards London (it could occasionally get embarassing once I started working in that part of Southern territory).

So I will now reorientate and try Ashford - which according the map is definitely east of Maidstone (I have checked to make sure :scratchhead: ).

Getting better, at least in terms of east-ness. Once upon a time you could have reached these gates from Ashford by a fairly direct route involving only one change. Nowadays, it might still be done with a single change, but a more roundabout route would be needed.

Nick

It is indeed. The gates survive at the side of Harbour St at Whitstable harbour (see google) at the north end of the former Canterbury & Whitstable line. My earlier response to Ian's suggestion of Chatham -- ex-SER rather than ex-LC&DR -- might have been a little confusing as the C&W was ex-SER, but the nearest surviving line is ex-LC&DR.

Over to you, Mike.

Nick

It is indeed. The gates survive at the side of Harbour St at Whitstable harbour (see google) at the north end of the former Canterbury & Whitstable line.

....closed because "there were not men of sufficient faith in Canterbury"........

Gutted to have only just found this thread and thus missed the Wallingford question as I'm a CWR volunteer and as well as having travelled the line many times have also taken numerous photos from the bridge! One thing that has changed over the years is that the steel sleepers are gradually being replaced by concrete (every 4th sleeper each year!).

And another thing to have changed in the area since 1973 would be the erection of Agatha Christie's memorial in the churchyard immediately behind the photographer.....

Edited by RJS1977

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick. Strange to relate east & west do have a slight bearing on this one but I'm not saying which is which. The answer lies in the picture probably so it might be easy; on the other hand it might not.

All we need to know is the name exhibited on the place where I took this picture (which was taken on an official visit to that place).

post-6859-0-44406700-1317075277.jpg

Thanks Nick. Strange to relate east & west do have a slight bearing on this one but I'm not saying which is which. The answer lies in the picture probably so it might be easy; on the other hand it might not.

All we need to know is the name exhibited on the place where I took this picture (which was taken on an official visit to that place).

post-6859-0-44406700-1317075277.jpg

That looks suspiciously like Thrumpton panel, although for the life of me I can't remember the name of the controlling box, Worksop or Sheffield?