Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Nothing to see here

Guest stuartp

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
The remaining widow frames have been removed (they were neither square nor particularly neatly done), and the window reveals have been given a skim of filler. When I built this I never bothered to finish the reveals properly, I just painted the cut edge of the balsa brick rred to match the rest of the window stonework. I also missed the fact that the door and window jambs are bevelled so I'll correct that too.
H'mm interesting proof of the pudding here! I keep wondering about redoing the Deadwater station building- especially if I find some etched frames of the correct type/size! - proof it can be done without wrecking the buiding. :icon_thumbsup2:

Guest stuartp

Etched frames would certainly be easier than microstrip Russ, unfortunately it would require all the windows to be exactly the same size and shape. These are supposed to be, but they're a bit variable ! icon_redface.gif Anyway, this is a relaxing doddle after the (ongoing) extreme baseboard re-alignment earlier in the thread !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stuartp

icon_surprised.gif Images seem to have worked, but, er... don't think I'd want to be in it for long, for fear it collapsed! icon_lol.gif

Do tell - Garlieston?

Hmm. I got error messages both times I attached those (hence the duplicate pics) and they're not visible in the editing thingy to delete one !

Close Jamie, on all counts, but a bit far north. It was McWilliams at Isle of Whithorn. I took the pic in 1995 when it was in use as a general store (we went in for cold drinks, it was scorching) before that it was a chandlers and before that (in the 18th century) a boatbuilding shed.

It fell down in 2005 !

Or you could have Bladnoch distillery?

http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/index.htm ? (Unfortunately they don't seem to have useful pictures of the buildings, but google brings up some).

Cheers,

26power

As well as the existing Portwilliam station I have to fit in:

A distillery (Dailluaine, Edradour, a couple of others)

Bladnoch Viaduct

Guest Max Stafford

Aha! Beside the Kirk.

Long gone by my visits. It looked somehow "Galloway" though I couldn't figure what looked familiar.

It's that completely un-fancy whitewashed look that you associate with Presbyterian churches in this corner of Scotland, Jamie. Remember that this is the land of the Covenanters with their plain, austere approach to worship (once they'd got their churches back!).

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Aha! Beside the Kirk.

Long gone by my visits. It looked somehow "Galloway" though I couldn't figure what looked familiar.

It's that completely un-fancy whitewashed look that you associate with Presbyterian churches in this corner of Scotland, Jamie. Remember that this is the land of the Covenanters with their plain, austere approach to worship(once they'd got their churches back!).

Dave.

I was meaning Stuart's photo - though I didn't recognise the street scene as I.o.Whithorn, something still twigged (regardless of knowing Stuart's modelled preferences).

The church is pretty - as in fact is most of the harbourside area there - Stuart would be welcome to what pictures I have.

The current crisp, generally dry weather tempts me back down with the camera, but the risk of getting stuck in a snowdrift the A75/A77 has dissuaded me so far!

• 1 month later...

Pic No.2 looks a promising angle, looking wide open and spacious. Two or three of the mysterious palvans in the siding nearest the station, and a couple of general goods vans dotted off to the right... I can see it now...

• 2 months later...
Guest stuartp

Shades of Millisle in the placement too!

Thanks gents. The far line will be a harbour tramway , the exact format and backstory is yet to be finalised as a lot will depend on what I decide to do with the large 6' x 1' space beyond the running lines.

Options at the moment include a small colliery (but how to do it without dominating the scene, many options under consideration), and various combinations of distillery, sawmill and village. The harbour proper won't fit. I suppose one option I should consider is the anti-shortbread tin option of 'do nothing' - just grass and cliff top scrub. At least the new board gives me the option of a bit of scenery below track level at the front - the old Portwilliam was very obviously 'hills on a flat board' rather than 'railway running through the landscape'.

• 3 months later...

Stuart

I take it that if it could go wrong, it has... :P

...despite the minor hiccups, you have overcome them and your narrative has been a joy to read :) . It is admirable how you have set yourself the challenge of completing your old layout; as you alluded to, it must have been very tempting to declare it a 'training exercise' or practice, and start again from scratch...

Keep persevering, and keep with the pictures coming :D

• RMweb Premium

Stuart, that little incline didn't look to bad to me, after all real railway have gradients don't they. It could have added some interest. Still what you are doing does look very good.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Stuart, that little incline didn't look to bad to me...

Doesn't look too bad in the pic, I agree, just a couple of mm over a wagon length or so, but it was noticeable as vehicles were being pushed over it. The break-over angle at the top was also enough to make rigid 0-6-0s see-saw over it and my chassis can get into enough trouble with trackholding and pick up all on their own without the track joining in !

I take it that if it could go wrong, it has... :P

It's been an interesting excercise in how not to do things !

• 3 months later...

Thinking on the real Portwilliam, you could fill Great White Space with an expanse of farmland which would give the rural feel, or maybe an incursion of the rocky East shore of Luce Bay?

While I'm on, have a link to some beautiful Galloway photographs, maybe to inspire you:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markmckie/tags/galloway/

Wish I was there...

Guest stuartp

Thinking on the real Portwilliam you could fill Great White Space with an expanse of farmland which would give the rural feel

That would certainly be the anti-shortbread option, as I envisage it that would be the space currently occupied by Maxwell Park. It might gain a couple of cottages or a farm though.

Under earlier plans that wouldn't have been an option, the space available in the garage for Greater Portwilliam was limited and that much bare scenery would have been unthinkable. But then I had a brainwave...

Thanks for the Flickr link, Minnigaff Boy's pics are rather nice.

I talk a good layout don't I ?

Absolutely, a mouthwatering concept, even just on the one level :)

I had a look around virtual Portwilliam via maps, birds-eye views and Google Street View last night between your edit of the previous post and addition of the latest. Funnily enough I clocked the same "station yard" - perfectly plausible.

Irrelevant: (1) I think you're right on the raised beach, whilst (the light-weight) Southwest Scotland, A Landscape Fashioned by Geology (pub. Scottish Natural Heritage) doesn't confirm the assumption, it looked very similar to the confirmed example around Girvan; (2) Killantrae is a good name for a layout based anywhere south of Ayr; (3) "to shortbread", the verb, :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating stuff, Stuart. It's an area I wish I knew well, drawn as I am to it by reading Rice's ramblings and plans for layouts based on Isle of Whithorn and Garliestown amongst others, and a deep and long-abiding love for Bladnoch.

Archived