Digitrax Zephyr DCS50 and Zimo sound decoder problem?

boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

I have been using a Zephyr very successfully with my 7mm Loksound equiped locos for a while now, I have just recently decided to start collected a batch of 4mm diesels....but with these I have installed a Zimo 644 sound decoder but I get a really odd continous noise over the sound files playing, it starts as soon as I power up the loco (not just when I start the sound file), I have managed to get the sound playing correctly (without the noise "overlay") just once by lifting one side of the loco off the tracks briefly, it was more an accident than intention but it did remove the noise and the sound files played fine then, but I have not been able to repeat the "cure" since!

I have tried this with different speakers and even on a different loco with a different PCB board arrangement (both Bachmann, the new 47 and new 37).

I have contacted Digitrains and they were most helpful and played the returned chip, I even heard it over the phone (not that I doubted them of course).

I am wondering if anyone else has used this combination of controller and decoder and had success?

• RMweb Premium
Not experienced the problem, but do you have anything running on address 0 ? For example via a Jump-Port (even if you don't normally use jump ports ? ). I'd try clearing the stack (which will clear anything from address 0) and see if that helps. Op-Sw 36 in the manuals.

- Nigel

Hi Nigel, I not even sure how to setup a jump port so hopefully that was not the problem but I did "clear the stack" (whatever that is) using op-sw 36 and I had success, everything is working as it should now.

Much oblidged for the information, thank you.

Hi Nigel, I not even sure how to setup a jump port so hopefully that was not the problem but I did "clear the stack" (whatever that is) using op-sw 36 and I had success, everything is working as it should now.

Much oblidged for the information, thank you.

Glad its working.

Jump Port = cheap way to add a up to two more speed control knobs. Connect one or two old DC controller to rear of Zephyr, and use the "jump" key to toggle between the main control knob and the old DC controllers attached to the jump ports. In practise its one of those "useful sometimes" features, and if you have the budget get proper additional handsets instead. UT4's are quite cheap and give you functions up to F12. DT402's are more expensive and have up to F28.

Stack = record of the last ten locos running state. The Zephyr preserves the running state of the last 10 locos called up, and thus those locos could be still receiving instructions from the stack (if you failed to actually stop them and "dispatch" them).

One final thought, if the problem comes back, please contact me. There is an obscure bug which impacts "status editing" of locos in the stack. This can cause all sorts of running problems and might have the affect you are seeing. Op-Sw36 will clear the problem, but it will come back again if the bug is present. If it's suspected, I can give you a test sequence (its long, sorry!). The bug only affects a handful of units; I am aware directly of two cases, though there must have been more than that.

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Nigel, I always saw the jump port as a pretty poor way to add throttles as there was no function control so never even considered it a useful feature although I do use a UT4 and find it about the nicest remote throttle I have tried, easy to use one handed and even the function keys are easy to operate at the same time, I wish other DCC bits were as well thought out for simple use.

I'll keep a eye...or ear out for the problem re-occuring (but more than likely down to operater error than anything else!) and let you know.

Archived