Siding Ends

I have about a metre of book shelf devoted to SDJR, and nowhere can

find an example of siding ends customary in industrial sidings pre LMS.

Can I rely on wooden rail ties, or was a heap of earth/gravel more common?

Maybe I have missed an example in my books: anyone with a reference

please.

Noel.

• RMweb Gold

I think it would depend on the undertaking, some may have had a company policy to provide proper buffer stops, whether rail-built or sleeper built. Others may have been a bit more relaxed about it.

Also, what may also have determined the outcome is whether main line locos were permitted into the industrial sidings, if so, the main liine company may have insisted on proper buffer stops as part of their Private Siding Agreement.

• RMweb Gold

The more I think about this, the more I am persuaded that some kind of buffer would normally have been provided. Otherwise the lack of a fixed buffer stop would have inhibited the often 'carefree' shunting practices of the time, which would sometimes have involved loose shunting wagons into sidings. You wouldn't want them falling off into the dirt at the end of the siding, this costs time and money to re-rail them, so I believe that normal practice would have been to have provided some kind of obstacle.

"i have vague memories from Blandford that one of the sidings ended up against a stone built buffer...."

But was that an 'industrial siding' or on railway property?

mmmmmmmm im not suer what the coal / corn yard was classed as

Archived