Loco accelerates, move. but won't decelerate or stop

GraemeWatson

• RMweb Premium

Hello, I have a Hornby Class 08 Thomas "Diesel", to which I hardwired a standard Hornby four function decoder, I currently use a Hornby Select controller.

Having had no problems either hardwiring or operating, I encountered a strange problem this morning; the loco will accelerate, in which ever direction, but won't decelerate, and can only be stopped by pressing "Stop". I can't get it to switch direction, by pressing the reverse button. It will go as fast as I accelerate, and stick at that speed. Any ideas? I don't believe I can reset the chip using the "Select" unit? It's run fine for a few months, with no problems until this morning.

Many Thanks

Hi

Its seems to me as though the decoders saw what they thought was dc on the rails or a poor dc signal? Not a total surprise with the Select!! You're correct, you cannot reset a decoder with the Hornby Select. Though you can reset the actual console which at times can help!

Keep rails clean, loco pick-up wheel treads clean and ensure any wheel wiping contacts remain in contact with the rear of each wheel even when the wheels moves across the locos frame. Of course ensure the inside face and the actual wheel area where the wires touch are also clean. If you rely on fishplates - metal rail joiners to pass power rail to rial ensure they are a tight fit onto the rails they connect together. Ideally use a DCC bus and smaller dropper wires to as many sections of rails as possible.

Seriously consider upgrading the DCC system at some stage, you'll be amazed at how good other systems are! :yes:

Archived