Advice Needed on 1980's Scottish Coach formations

Mike W2

I used to post on the old RMweb and this is my first time on the new site, so apologies if I'm repeating any questions etc that anybody else may have asked.

I'm modelling the Falkirk area (in a fictitious setting), in the mid to late 80's and I'm trying to get my Rolling Stock in order. I'm sorted out for the Edinburgh-Glasgow push-pull rakes but I'm turning my attention to the smaller local loco hauled passanger trains.

What I need is some sample 3 and 4 car coach formations using Mk I and non-aircon Mk 2 coaches, similar to those seen on layouts like Airthrey Park. For example it could be Mk I's like SO,SO,CK,BSK if that makes any sense.

Also I need to know which of the Bachmann Mk 2 coaches is suitable for my layout as I've noticed they are labelled Mk 2, Mk 2a and Mk 2s.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated as it would mean I would know which coaches to keep, sell and buy.

many thanks

Mike

There weren't really that many loco hauled trains through Falkirk, except Glasgow - Edinburgh

The main exception would be those through Falkirk Grahamston, which would then add the Inverness - Euston and Inverness - Kings Cross

The Inverness - Edinburgh would also use this route

So starting with the push-pull sets you have :

Mark 2A TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO(T)-FK-DBSO (only one such rake, fitted with air brakes)

Mark 2D TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO(T)-FO/FK-DBSO

Mark 3A TSO-TSO-TSO-FO-DBSO

You then have the Glasgow / Edinburgh - Inverness, and these were used on the peak hour Glasgow - Edinburgh push-pull (such as the 17:13 Glasgow - Edinburgh)

Mark 2A/B/C TSO-TSO-BFK-TSO(T)-TSO or TSO-TSO(T)-BSO-FK/CK-TSO-TSO or combinations thereof

The Clansman Inverness - Euston

I don't have diagrams for this, but would expect :

Mark 2E/F TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-RBR-FO-FO-NHA

There was also a brief spell when the train joined and split at Carstairs, however neither of these were routed via Falkirk

Mark 3A TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-RFM-BFO

When raspberry ripple livery was used the rake then joined with a second half in Edinburgh, so between Inverness and Edinburgh would be :

Mark 2E/F TSO-TSO-BFK-TSO-TSO (I can't remember if the RBR continued to Inverness, or was retained on the Edinburgh portion)

Thanks for the info but I already have diagrams for the push-pulls. It's the local loco hauled stuff I'm interested in. Using non aircon Mk I's and Mk 2's.

My layout is ficticious, so the diagrams don't have to be specific to Falkirk. They can be any local loco hauled services in the area in between Glasgow and Edinburgh. I'm just really wanting some general ideas of formations to give variety to my passenger trains.

thanks

Mike

I don't remember any other rakes, other than those I have listed, which would be used between Glasgow and Edinburgh

At a push you could include some of the sleepers

At the extremes (as these would not pass through Falirk) you have the Glasgow - Oban / Fort William

Then there are the Edinburgh - Dundee

There would also be Edinburgh - Aberdeen

That leaves the Glasgow and South West (Glasgow - Carlisle / Stranraer) and North Lines (Aberdeen - Inverness - Kyle / Thurso)

I'm just looking for examples of anything that might have passed through central Scotland, whether it be in the Falkirk area or other places like Stirling etc. Could be things like Edinburgh - Stirling or Dunblane. Anything at all really using the types of coaches mentioned.

Which Mk 2's are most suitable as well - Mk2's, Mk 2a's or Mk2s'?

thanks

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I think that quite a lot of the smaller local services around at this time would have been DMUs. Certainly a lot of the traffic in the east and Fife would have been 101s, which are interesting in themselves (I didn't think so at the time).

What you could do is work on the theory along the lines that mjkerr suggested..

Some of the trains that split at Carstairs and ran into Edinburgh hauled by a 47, then ran on to become local stopping trains. The one I'm mainly thinking of is the early evening stopping service to Dunbar. We called it 'The Coupler' as at Dunbar the loco (47) would uncouple and run round the train before heading back to Edinburgh.

The original service that split at Carstairs came from places like Poole (The Wessex Scot) or Harwich (The European), so had traversed half of the country and would give a bit of scope for some exotic stock! You could assume that this service then continued to Falkirk or Stirling after Edinburgh.

I've think I've got some photos of this somewhere which I could dig out if you're interseted in the actual coaching stock.

Colin

Mike,

There was also the Glasgow to Perth/Dundee service which was loco hauled in the early 80's up to the point when the service was stopped for a while. This was a favourite for running in ex-works locos from Glasgow.

The pic here http://brucegalloway.zenfolio.com/p614007779/h375a5a7c#h375a5a7c shows 37409 on a mk1 rake at Larbert but in earlier times there was a real variety of locos used:

26's : http://brucegalloway.zenfolio.com/p765068870/h39f51ae2#h2c887f56

27's : http://brucegalloway.zenfolio.com/p765068870/h39f51ae2#h39f51ae2

47's : http://brucegalloway.zenfolio.com/p851046045/hff3c73d#h3dd463c0

to which you could add 25's and 40's. Should be plenty pics on-line.

Although I've got the Mark 2 coaching stock bible I must admit that I usually just buy what looks right(ish) and worry about Bachmanns mk2 designations later! Given the errors in some of the loco models (and the track gauge) I can forgive some errors in the coaching stock. NSE livery might be pushing it tho :)

Bruce

Archived