Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 89

I'm constructing a model of the 'Flying Badger' using the time-honoured method of cutting and shutting two Hornby HST Power Cars, and filling, filing, and sanding until the correct profile is achieved. I started this model several years ago but recommenced work on the bodysides after finding it at the back of a cupboard during a lull in my Class 83 build (please see my other thread in this section!) The bodysides weren't straight as the two halves of the Power Cars had not been cut perfectly square and so when joined and viewed from above the whole Class 89 shell was slightly banana shaped. The bodysides were also a tad concave. I decided to fabricate new bodysides from plasticard using the same method as I had utilised on the Class 83. The photos show my progress so far.

post-7084-0-69765200-1315922712_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-92892700-1315922794_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-31696600-1315922880_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-49823200-1315922967_thumb.jpg

On one side the new bodyside has been filed and sanded to the correct tumblehome profile. The other side still needs this treatment. The apertures in the bodyside have been created so I can fit the grilles from the inside later on in the build. The noses were created from plasticard, filler and superglue several years ago and while the rake angle may not be absolutely spot on perfect, it is as near as I can get it considering the base moulding's inherent differences to a Class 89. I'm quite pleased with it so far. It's just taking ages! I hope I can see it through to the bitter end; I have dozens of half-finished projects that I really must try to complete. Self discipline required! Maybe now it is out in the open on this site I will be shamed into finishing it and not putting it back in the cupboard when I temporarily lose my modelling 'mojo'.

• 4 weeks later...

My scale drawing of this loco shows only one side, so it was Sod's Law in operation when I discovered that the side that I don't have a drawing of is not identical to the one that I do have a drawing of. The rectangular holes (into which the grilles will be inserted) in the middle of the bodyside have now been filled on one side of the loco as they shouldn't be there. Wish I'd checked more photos before I started cutting and filing plasticard, all gung ho.....

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments gents. Its going to be in its first guise; early InterCity livery with small arrows. Because of the body's origins there is an element of compromise built in to the dimensions, especially the depth of the bodysides. My main concern is ensuring that the bodyside stripe will appear to be in the correct place, ie the correct distance beneath the grilles, then running across the bottom of the cab doors and lining up in the right place with the lights on the front. Fingers crossed!

• 2 months later...

Slow progress is being made - DC Kits bogie frames temporarily fitted to Bachmann Class 37 bogies (using Blu-tac to establish the correct height). Many hours more filling and sanding of the body is now anticipated. I also need to fabricate a chassis and mount the motor (stolen from the Bachmann 37) in the middle. I'll get there one day....!!

post-7084-0-86108100-1326199083_thumb.jpgpost-7084-0-60630100-1326199167_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Bear with me Sean, not much progress recently as I tend to jump from project to project and if I'm lucky I occasionally finish one! The Class 89 is overdue some attention; I've just started corresponding with Pete Harvey about fitting his bodyside grilles and windscreen surrounds. Watch this space.

Thanks for the interest btw.

Adrian

A neat job on the nose there, my own attempt at doing the new nose drove me to pick up one of the DC Kits bodies instead.

Just a wee aside: one of those resin bodies sold on Ebay last week for over £100! I think the bogie frames were included too, but even so....!!!!

Archived