New Hornby 2P, 4F and Railroad Schools (?)

OFFTHE RAILS

New locomotive maintenance sheets have been added on the Hornby website (with some errors in the titles) :

(1) “Fowler Class 4P (sic) 0-6-0 2F (sic) 4-4-0” which shows outlines of the new motorised loco chassis and tender.

(2) 4-4-0 Railroad Compound Country (sic) Hunt and Schools Class

I wasn’t aware that a Railroad Schools was on the way…….?

Ian

(2) 4-4-0 Railroad Compound Country (sic) Hunt and Schools Class

Well maybe not this year... It's interesting to see that they've completely ditched the old Ringfield mounting in the tender (unlike before) which is a bit more retooling of the tenders than I'd expected, so we might see some improvement to the tender chassis for the County :)

New versions of the D49, County and Compound were in the Hornby showcase at Swindon last weekend - much improved finish from the past efforts but that apart no sign of when they'll arrive.

Did anyone get any pics of them?

I'm not sure it is. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a Railroad D49/Compound/County using the pukka Schools chassis and an ambiguously worded service sheet. Thanks for the tip, I need a Compound :-)

I wouldn't be suprised if it was a Railroad D49/Compound/County using the pukka Schools chassis and an ambiguously worded service sheet.

The existing Schools service sheet has the motor mounted the other way around to this new maintenance sheet so it looks like it's a different chassis. Hornby are probably holding back a year or too before introducing a Railroad Schools given how relatively recently they intoroduced the new one but it would be daft not to in the future now they have an upgraded chassis for the old 4-4-0's. Probably down for my least suprising prediction for next year's ctaalogue I suppose :)

I have the utmost confidence that the Hornby chassis will perform admirably. My main concern, for the 4F in particular, is whether the loco body has been retooled or whether it is the Airfix molding. I've had an Airfix 4F, Hornby Compound and Mainline 2P in boxes for years waiting to be fixed up. If the new models have been retooled I will probably buy these and not bother with the old ones.

John

There's what looks suspiciously like a fixed coupling bar (screw at either end) on both sheets so my money would be on permenantly coupled as for the old 2P and 4F with the Airfix cement mixer tender drive.

Brossard - I doubt they'll re-tool much if anything above the footplate, especially on the Railroad ones. I'll still have a Compound, at that price it's worth replacing the tender with a Comet one and tarting the body up.

Looks as if the new chassis will fit under my Triang L1 body. Still one of my favourite Triang locos but a bit worn these days.

Roger.

I too have an L1 that I have been looking to remotor. With this chassis ans a tender from a Bachmann N, I think a reasonable model could result.

Cheers for now, Ian.

I too have an L1 that I have been looking to remotor. With this chassis ans a tender from a Bachmann N, I think a reasonable model could result.

Cheers for now, Ian.

The 2P chassis has a 9’6” coupled wheelbase whereas the Tri-ang L1 needs a 10’0” wheel base chassis.

The RTR chassis to use for the L1 is that from the Horn by T9 (or the latest Schools – without the cylinders, con rods and valve gear of course)

I started such a conversion for the L1 with the T9 chassis & Bachmann N tender and reported in in my blog on RMweb some time ago.

As usual I haven’t finished it….

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/605/entry-4345-ian-ms-blog-sr-and-sdjr/

Ian

Guest Max Stafford

Well, a high specification Schools chassis under my D49 is a compromise I can very happily live with.

A cheerful detail and repaint job at most I reckon then.

I shall portray a Shire rather than a Hunt since there's no Lenz gear though perhaps Brassmasters will come to the rescue!

Dave..

The 2P chassis has a 9’6” coupled wheelbase whereas the Tri-ang L1 needs a 10’0” wheel base chassis.

The RTR chassis to use for the L1 is that from the Horn by T9 (or the latest Schools – without the cylinders, con rods and valve gear of course)

I started such a conversion for the L1 with the T9 chassis & Bachmann N tender and reported in in my blog on RMweb some time ago.

As usual I haven’t finished it….

http://www.rmweb.co....og-sr-and-sdjr/

Ian

Yes, but the new railroad chassis will have a 10ft wheelbase if it is to fit the D49 and Compound. I wonder if it will have two front axle positions to fit the County as the older one did.

Roger.

HI

Sorry if i am a bit dim about this one ,Are Hornby going to bring out the 4F and the 2P in the rail road range?

But on their site they have it at 99.99 ( sorry my pound sign is not working ) So how at that price can it be in the rail road range?

I notice that the chassis for the Hunt and Compound is also for a "Country" class (as well as a Schools). I wonder what a "Country" class is modelled on?!!!! (Maybe it's a partly-broken up "West Country" to make it a 4-4-0 - I saw one of these in a "Steam for scrap" book (I think) at Cashmores.

JE

Sorry if i am a bit dim about this one ,Are Hornby going to bring out the 4F and the 2P in the rail road range?

But on their site they have it at 99.99 ( sorry my pound sign is not working ) So how at that price can it be in the rail road range?

They aren't in the Railroad range, hence the price.

Yes, but the new railroad chassis will have a 10ft wheelbase if it is to fit the D49 and Compound. I wonder if it will have two front axle positions to fit the County as the older one did.

Roger.

Yes the D49 10' wheelbase chassis (if it is 40mm) should be fine for a Maunsell L1.

An another tack - how did Hornby stretch/bodge the Compound body to fit that chassis - the real compund coupled wheelbase was 9'6"

Ian

Archived