The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Attempted PayPal fraud.

DDolfelin

Received today.

Dangerous if one is asleep at the keyboard:

DON'T CLICK ON THE LINKS!

It says 'Receipt for payment' of £18 to some subscription or other then directs you to click on the 'Cancel Payment' link if the payment is unauthorised.

It doesn't use your name, just 'PayPal User'.

Apart from that it looks very genuine.

• Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

I always find it's useful to check the source on messages I'm unsure of. If there's any hint of a connection with Africa or Eastern Europe, give it a wide berth!

Dave.

• Like 1

DON'T CLICK ON THE LINKS!

Really that's the best advice you can give.

Anything that appears to come from PayPal, your bank or whatever. Never click the links in the message. Always go straight to the main website via your browser.

That way you know you're in the right place.

• RMweb Gold

if it is a genuine one they will contact you using your registered details as verification and tell you what to do next.

PayPal will NEVER contact you in this way, if you have any reason to suspect it's valid then logon to PayPal by typing the address into the browser, do not click links, the same rules apply if it's a bank or building society.

I have had a few purporting to be from Ebay, saying that the item that I purchased has not been paid for and if I dont respond they will take legal action and suspend my account.

It all looks very genuine with a long Ebay-like item number, and initially made me quite worried that I had accidentally forgotten to pay for a purchase, but a quick visit to the genuine Ebay site showed me all items won and whether paid or not.

Even after the multitude of warnings, there must be folk who do still respond to phishing such as this, otherwise it would not be worth doing it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had the Paypal one the other day.

They were not very clever as they sent it to one email address that I use, but not to the one that is associated with Paypal.

Bernard

They don't know you have two addresses they simply spam addresses, they don't go looking for individuals ...

To repeat the other advice (aside from don't click on the links) - DON'T reply to these, even with advice as to where their offers can be located, the email address is then known to be live and becomes a saleable commodity to the spammers,

• Like 2

They don't know you have two addresses they simply spam addresses, they don't go looking for individuals ...

To repeat the other advice (aside from don't click on the links) - DON'T reply to these, even with advice as to where their offers can be located, the email address is then known to be live and becomes a saleable commodity to the spammers,

I just delete the message.

webbo

Not always - they can be hijacked or forged.

No, not the the simple "From:" bit, but the actual headers, which show the routing taken by the message. eBay and PayPal use their own specific ones. Everybody else (i.e. fraudsters / hackers, etc.) goes through a different routing, and these always reveal that the servers, etc. are non-eBay/non-PayPal ones.

Update:

I received a follow-up from the same scrotes.

Sent it to 'Spoof at Paypal'.

PayPal replied (this time) saying that they had verified that it wasn't a scam.

I wrote back saying that if it wasn't a scam then kindly repay me the money they have mistakenly taken from my account.

They replied with a copy of the reply saying it wasn't a scam.

Initially they inferred that they were hot on the trail of the crooks and all but awarded me a medal for helping my fellow e-Bayers.

Totally useless waste of space.

But then we knew that.

• RMweb Gold

Hilarious ..

email from Paypal with the footnote

How do I know this is not a Spoof email? Spoof or ‘phishing’ emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name. Find out more here

Addressed to

Dear Value Member,

So I followed their own advice and ignored it as a generic email !