New York City

Rob T

Evening All,

I am going to be in New York City for a short time in early October and try to make a habit of visiting model shops whilst abroad (especially the USA).

Can anyone recommend the best place to visit in NYC (preferably central)? I was in Los Angeles a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed a trip to Allied Model Trains.

Any help gratefully received.

All the best,

Rob.

Manhattan? I've never found one. It's rather a desert due to the high cost of real estate.

Same reason Manny's closed down. There are no decent guitar stores on 48th Street any more, either.

If you want to go out 25 - 30 miles into New Jersey let me know.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

As Pete says, NYC isn't the best for train stores. The last time I was there, I did visit Gotham Model Trains and found it to be clean and friendly (always a big plus!), with a pretty good selection. No massive stock, but a mix of things, including European, but worth a look. I bought an N scale 44 tonner when I was in.

http://www.gothammodeltrains.com/

I've been in a few NYC train stores and this was the only one that didn't feel like a dusty old shop long past its best.

Many years ago (1991) I visited this store. Seems to be still there (as per website). I bought some O scale passenger cars there - Walthers kits. Place was a typical "packed to the gunnels" model shop back then.

The Red Caboose, Call 212-575-0155 or stop by 23 W. 45th St

http://theredcaboose.com/

http://theredcaboose.com/gallery.htm

Review at

http://www.yelp.com/biz/red-caboose-new-york

Brit15

Hi Rob,

The Red Caboose is worth a visit if you are in the midtown area. The owner is a bit of a character and reminds me of a red haired film director who lives not too far away.

As others have mentioned Trainworld in Brooklyn and Trainland in Lynbrook are not too far away. Trainworld is on the F line of the MTA Subway, quite easy from Manhattan. Trainland is not to far from the LIRR station at Lynbrook, but is a bit of an effort from Manhattan.

If you have access to a car, then try the recommendations from Pete in New Jersey.

Andy

I have no hesitation in recommending "The Model Railroad Shop" in Piscataway, NJ. It is rather like a very good store in the UK and great for getting hold of detailed parts. Plenty of visitor/residents of NYC make the trek out there (incl. the musician end of railroad modeling).

Link: http://www.themodelrailroadshop.com/

I rather think, however, that the OP is looking for a store within walking distance of Mid-Town........

Best, Pete.

I paid a visit to Gotham this last May and found the building very easily ( not to far from Macy's ) the shop is on the 13th floor !! at least there is a lift.

Not to much stock but a bit of everything you might happen to need.

Col

Trainworld is about 30 minutes from Midtown on the subway, and as the line is elevated there the whole area looks like something from "The French Connection"... Shop is very good for US stuff, with some eccentric staff on duty. I go there to buy a Thomas engine or something each time I have to go to NYC for work. Having a Gordon's Express set in my hotel room was very comforting when I got stuck there due to the ash cloud in 2010!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

If you are heading to Trainland, you might want to bring a spare suitcase with you. They are currently doing a special on pre-orders for the G scale Aristo-craft Class 66 at $425 each reduced from $799. They seem to have most of the livery variants, and also have the inter-modal wagons at $199.

You would have to add 8.75% sales tax. I don't know what price these go for in the UK, but I would think that even factoring in the costs of shipping you would still save a few pounds if you are interested in 7mm stuff.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

A belated thanks for all of the responses - due to a classic example of Murphy's Law my post above was the final act before my internet connection died ... inconvenient not just because I missed all of your kind advice, but also as it made all of the many online hoops airlines/hotels/travel companies make us jump through rather trying!

I have now returned from NYC (a fantastic place and a wonderful trip!) but didn't manage to explore any of the model shops. Nevertheless, I will return soon and will take up the kind advice above.

Thank again for the help and apologies for the apparent ingratitude!

All the best,

Rob.

Archived