Mysterious books on Souther engines?

AberdeenBill

Hi all,

Does anybody know anything about the following print-on-demand books seemingly devoted to interesting Southern engines (there are many more on abebooks)?

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?paratrk=&isbn=9781243166036&ltrec=t&bi=5746690547

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?paratrk=&isbn=9786136993928&ltrec=t&bi=5607694299

The supposed author(?) of the P14 class book has an incredible collection of random titles to his name...

Thanks,

Bill

I haven't seen either of these, so I am perfectly willing to be proved wrong about this, but I wouldn't touch these with a bargepole. The description of the first one (that covers multiple classes) includes this statement: "allowing disparate content sources to be curated into cohesive, relevant, and informative books. To date, this content has been curated from Wikipedia articles and images under Creative Commons licensing, although as Hephaestus Books continues to increase in scope and dimension, more licensed and public domain content is being added". To me, that's a long-winded way of saying "cut and pasted from Wikipedia".

I also note that Mr. Nicolao's ouevre includes titles on "Hern N Garin" and "Micka L. Germain". Neither of these two gentlemen can be found on Google (although the "Garin" search at least returns the book in question). Interestingly, though, Wikipedia has entries for Hernan Garin ("an Italian Argentine footballer who plays for Lega Pro Seconde Divisione club Savona") and Mickael Germain ("a Guadaloupean professional footballer who currently plays in the Championnat de France Amateur for Red Star FC").

The Barnes & Noble listing for the Garin book includes the following note: "Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online.". There's also a cover shot, which reveals that the book is indeed about Hernan Garin.

Don't waste your money. Just look at Wikipedia instead, would be my advice.

Jim

Archived