Β 

VIA Rail passenger cars

Right, I have two P42DCs and one F40PH (with another probably to follow in due course) in VIA Rail livery . I have a five-car HEP2 set to go with one of the P42s and if and when I add more stainless steel stock, I could run 'The Canadian' with the F40PHs.

I still need more passenger cars. I have one Rapido LRC car coming from an eBay purchase but at Β£45 plus nearly Β£20 for postage and (probably) another Β£20 for the UK Customs, a set of these is not really affordable. In any case, they are out of production.

The third of the possibilities is a set of Renaissance (ex-Nightstar) cars. No one makes a model of these and no one is likely to. The LRC was a marginal choice, I suspect, but Rapido's Mr. Shron obviously likes LRCs and they did also run in Amtrak colours, so there's a US market. The 'Ren' cars, in contrast, are only Canadian (and Eastern Canada, too) and, when you look at them, several of the vehicle types are a right old bodge. No one is ever likely to offer a ready-to-run model.

So, what about conversions? Is there anything I can convert or repaint that looks vaguely similar? Anything that might suit some brass overlay sides, for instance?

I've been looking at what I could do with Hornby Mk3s, given some additional bits and a repaint but they are obviously over scale. Any thoughts?

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris not sure if this will help any just found these at Hobbylinc a good company I use often for my military models .

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Below is the image at: www.hobbylinc.com/ htm/cco/cco992.htm

Β 

Remove frame isr_c.gif

Β 

Β 

Thanks, but the blue-painted cars are the ex-Canadian National vehicles which were all withdrawn when VIA got rid of steam-heating. The electric (HEP) conversions were confined to the ex-CP Rail stainless steel cars plus some stainless cars bought from US railroads. My problem is in trying to model the current scene, I guess.

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris;

Β 

Mk4 coaches might be closer to Nightstar/Rennaissance stock but, as you say, would be overscale. Captain Electra did overlays for N-scale Mk4s to make Rennaissance stock, so he might be able to scale them up.

Β 

Jason Shron does like LRCs (he was part of the team behind saving a power car), so I'd expect more LRC coaches to appear when the power cars do. Cost will still be an issue, but the prototype models I saw were beautiful.

Β 

Otherwise, there isn't a lot of choice. Maybe you need an Amtrak P42 and 5 Amfleet cars to model the Maple Leaf...

Β 

post-206-086600900 1286972469_thumb.jpg

Β 

Adrian

A little off-topic but in Chris' first post I noticed the name of Jason Shron of Rapido ( almost as unusual as mine!) Away back, 10 years ago, there was a gentleman of the same name who joined the Small Layout Design yahoo group, I think living in the midlands of UK, who posted this in our files - now whether this IS the same person I know not, but the name and the Canadian interest lead me to think it could be. Just added as something of interest!

Β 

NB I blanked the email address

Β 

post-6688-0-16265700-1316524275.jpg

A few things that might be of help. The MSRP for an LRC coach is $67.95 CAD or roughly 43.50GBP. The street price is lower so it might pay to check out the Rapido website for updates http://rapidotrains.com/scllrc_coach.html. Best price I could find was here. http://www.modeltrains.com/WEB%20-%20CMT/Rapido/rt-lrc-ready-to-run.htm

Β 

Jason did live and work in the UK for a while so that may well be his plan. His current plan is somewhat more ambitious as he has a multi level layout a-building of the Kingston subdivision of the CNR.

Β 

Cheers,

Β 

David

• RMweb Gold

I produce N Gauge vinyl overlays to convert the Graham Farish Mark 4 coach into a good approximation of VIA Rail Renaissance stock. It should be possible to produce these in 4mm to bash the Hornby Mk4 into shape, if there's interest.

Β 

The Nightstar stock was based on the Mk4 bodyshell with an altered profile and runs on T4 bogies (same as the 158 and Mk3 DVT).

I produce N Gauge vinyl overlays to convert the Graham Farish Mark 4 coach into a good approximation of VIA Rail Renaissance stock. It should be possible to produce these in 4mm to bash the Hornby Mk4 into shape, if there's interest.

Β 

The Nightstar stock was based on the Mk4 bodyshell with an altered profile and runs on T4 bogies (same as the 158 and Mk3 DVT).

Β 

Not wishing to hijack the thread but the N Gauge royal coach vinyls in OO would be nice also :)

Β 

Otherwise, there isn't a lot of choice. Maybe you need an Amtrak P42 and 5 Amfleet cars to model the Maple Leaf...

Adrian

Β 

I photographed the Maple Leaf at Toronto and I have a P42 in phase V livery (on order from Model Junction) and three Amtrak cars (coming from Ebay). My engineer friend drove 'the Amtrak', from Toronto-Niagara Falls a couple of weeks ago, but hadn't realised it was a named train. Pity they don't make more of their named trains.

Adam - I'm interested in the idea of overlays for the Mk4s although I guess they are still going to look way too big. The Mk3s looked awful - they are so long, as well being too tall - although putting smaller wheels in helped a little.

CHRIS LEIGH

Guest CPRAIL3000

Just in case anyone would be interested I have a number of Walthers Via Rail passenger cars for sale at Β£17 each if anyone is genuinely interested pm me and I will do a good deal.

Archived