Flush Glazing for a Lima Deltic

• RMweb Premium

I've just inherited a Lima Deltic 'Meld' D9003 and 3 LMS coaches. I'd like to flush glaze it but I'm not up to doing it myself. Does anyone offer this service along with weathering etc? Also need to fit new wheels as they jump over my Peco electrofrogs at the moment. Also need the lead weight as it is missing out of the Deltic.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Mike

Have to agree with the comment about getting a Bachmann. However, your word is "inherited", so if there is some sentimental attraction I have the following thoughts. Finecast do make a kit that I will shortly be experimenting with. You may well have a problem with the traction tire since they age and break up. I believe you can get replacement in the UK. My traction tires disintegrated a year or so before the Bachmann came. I ended up putting a put a Kato unit in it. It is not a lead weight but a small section of steel. If you do decide you want to flushglaze it, let me know directly although note I live in the GWN (Canada)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Theakerr and craigwelsh

Thanks for the advice. I'll go for a South East Finecast flush glaze kit. I live in Ireland so kits via the post from the UK are no problem. I've since found out that if I want to replace the wheel sets on the coaches then I've got to do some cutting down Hornby/Bachmann axles to get the length right. Not that yet advanced with the old modeling skills so I'll just have to run them on the Lima track I also inherited. I've cut down a piece of steel angle and it fits the well perfectly in the Deltic so no problems there.

I'd love to be able to afford a Bachmann 55, I drool over them often enough - just have to save up the pennies!

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Years ago the traction tyres on my Lima Deltic gave up and a dealer sold me Fleischmann Traction tyres which fit exactly, didn't accumulate dirt nearly so quickly as the Lima originals had and were just as good when I sold the model on about 3 years ago. South Eastern Finecast Vacuum formed glazing was simple to use too.

Hope your restoration proceeds well.

Regards,

John

This thread has made me glow with reflected excitement. How refreshing it is to share the enthusiasm of this latest stage in your return, I assume, to this fantastic hobby. Times are tough right now, and this kind of enterprising restoration/ improvement project using the materials at your disposal to a budget, is as valid and motivating as any topic on RMWeb, in my opinion at least. I wish your restoration well too, but more than that, I have a feeling you're going to derive a huge amount of satisfaction from it. Fantastic! Good luck!

Archived