RMweb

Toilet talk! - DMU CET tanks

Mattmaz

Hi all,

I appreciate this may be a strange question, but I am currently constructing a DMU servicing point on my layout. Can any of you let me know which of the following DMUs have Controlled Emission Tanks fitted please? :

Class 142

Class 150

Class 153

Class 158

Class 159

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

CET emptying facilaties are relativley expensive things to install and look after so they only really started to make an aperance in the later days of BR. Out of the list you mention, only the class 159s had them fitted from new, although provision was made for them to be fitted on the 158s which made things easier when NSE decided to install them (159s being 158s with a different paint job and a revised seat layout installed). In recent years however their has been a retrofit programme taking advantage of the fact that 'dump' toliets are not permited in new stock hence all those turbostars ordered since privitisation needed them anyway.

Older units though such as the 156s, 153s, etc have not been altered and so still discharge onto the tracks, as does the HST fleet - 125mph sewage anyone, spae a thought for trackworkers :-( . In fact sinse the demise of Mk1 slam door fleet, First Great Western probably now has the largest fleet of dump toilets in the country.

Archived