Good base for small street diorama?

Hi all,

I'm moving house in a couple of months, and will be building a layout in the attic - but I've got the bug, so thought I'd crack on with some modelling!

Basically, I'm going to have a large built up area on the model, so thought I'd begin with some Metcalfe/Scalescene models.

So that I don't have lots of loose houses all over the spot, I thought I could mount some of them onto a miniature baseboard, which I can then simply place on the new layout. These will be around the size of a table mat (sorry - bad comparison, but that's what my current terraces are sat on, and the size seems about right for a short section of street with houses on either side!). Perhaps 1' x 10inches in old money.

What would you recommend as a thin, durable and light base to mount the houses onto? Foamboard? Card? I want something that I can pick up in a model shop tomorrow, or at the very worst a craft shop. Wood isn't really an option, as it'd be too bulky. I want to have as little vertical impact as possible, whilst at the same time being a pretty sturdy base.

Thanks!

Not quite sure why you seem to be ruling out wood? the thickness of wood can be just as thin as you will get with card or foamboard and will be stronger.

My choice would be mdf, ply, foamboard, plasticard and paper card - in that order. 3mm thick

Archived